No More Karate

The next day at school, the four sat in the library at one of the tables doing homework. Miguel told us all about how his mom had forbad him from doing any more karate. I felt really bad for him.

"So that's it? No more karate?" Demetri asked him.

"Guess so." Miguel replied sadly.

"Probably for the best. It was starting to boost your confidence."

"Isn't that a good thing?" Miguel asked him confused.

"No. What has confidence ever gotten anyone but a black eye and their backpack thrown in the trash?" Demetri asked him, his voice slowly saddened as he went through the question.

"Well, I thought it was cool how you stood up to Kyler." Eli said to Miguel.

"Are you insane? Let me ask you. What is the best superpower anyone could ever have?" Demetri asked us.

"Super strength." Miguel answered immediately.

"Wrong. Invisibility. A distant second is super speed to run away fast." Demetri said.

"Run away from who?" Kyler asked coming out of nowhere.

We quickly got up and started packing our bags to leave. I wasn't scared of Kyler and his gang of assholes but the boys were and I wasn't going to let Demetri, Eli or Miguel get hurt. Especially not after last night's events.

Kyler grabbed the back of Eli's head and pushed his face up so he could see his lip. He laughed and so did his group of asshole friends. Demetri, Miguel and I stood and watched both scared and disgusted.

"Look at this freak. Oh shit! What kind of girl would want to kiss this shit?" Kyler said.

"Speak for yourself, dick." I said without thinking.

"Leave him alone, Kyler." Miguel said.

Kyler looked pissed and pushed Eli towards me. I grabbed him and helped him to his feet. He looked scared and ready to cry. I rubbed his back to make him feel better. Kyler and his goons had moved onto bullying Miguel now.

"What'd you say?" Kyler asked him. Miguel didn't answer. "You haven't had enough, 'Rhea?"

He pushed Miguel and Eli and the two left quickly. I grabbed Miguel's arm and pulled him plus Eli and Demetri behind me.

"Leave them alone, Kyler." I ordered him.

"You must have some low pride to hang around these losers." He said to me.

"What and I'd have high pride hanging around a loser like you." I snapped. Eli and Miguel left first, then Demetri and I were walking away together when Kyler grabbed Demetri's backpack. I stopped and was about to kick Kyler's ass but Demetri grabbed my arm.

"You don't want this shit." Kyler said.

"No, come on. Not the trash. I just through a......yogurt in there." Demetri said defenselessly.

"Now it's double dipped." Kyler said laughing. His friends did too as Demetri took his bag out of the garbage.

I left with Demetri and the rest of the day dragged on.