My Growing Concern

I walked into Johnny's apartment to see Miguel sitting on the floor. I didn't see Johnny in the room so I shut the door and sat next to Miguel on the floor.

"Hey." He said.

"Hey. Where's Johnny?" I asked him.

"He's gone to go get some old photos to send to Ali from high school." He explained.

"Ali? As in Ali Mills? His ex-girlfriend, Ali Mills." I asked him a little shocked.

"Yeah." 

My mouth dropped and then Johnny walked into the room. He had two pictures in his hand and he handed them to Miguel.

"Hey." He said to me.

"Hi." I said still shocked. I looked at the photos with Miguel and to say I was disgusted was an understatement. 

"Those are the only photos I have. I don't have much after high school." Johnny explained.

"Well, then you're screwed. These pictures suck." I told him honestly.

"What do you mean 'they suck?'" Johnny asked clearly offended.

"I mean that if you send these photos to Ali, she's gonna get weirded out. Do you at least have one were you're wearing a shirt?" I asked him.

"Of yeah, one second." Johnny said. He came back with a box and gave me a photo. When I saw it, I wanted to smack him in the back of the head. 

"I think we're better off going with some new photos." Miguel said.

"I agree."

"Well, not sure I want you two to grease me up right now. Baby oil gets over everything." Johnny said.

"Um, no thanks. I think I'm gonna leave this to you Miguel, I'll see you guys later." I said and left the apartment. 

About a day or two later, I was back at school. I was talking with Demetri when I saw Miguel walk into the lobby. Key word, walk! I excused myself from Demetri and basically ran to Miguel excited. I embraced him in a hug.

"Hey. What's this for?" He asked. 

"Um, walking? Johnny worked some real magic. I'm so proud of you for pushing through." I said excitedly. 

"Thanks."

I walked with Miguel and we saw Demetri at his locker. He shut his locker and looked at us smiling.

"Hey the Comeback Kid! Welcome back." Demetri said. "I hope to make a similar triumphant return to the land of the mobile appendage masses."

"What's up with the cast?" Miguel asked gesturing to Demetri's arm. 

"Proximal radius fracture." Demetri replied.

"It smells." Yasmine said cutting in. I rolled my eyes. Miguel gave Demetri a questioning and a bit disguised look.

"I put a lemon rind down there to mitigate that. The invitation for you to sign it still stands." Demetri said looking over at Yasmine with a sharpie out towards her.

"Hard pass." Yasmine said. "At least when you used to be a thorn in my tits, you were getting me an A in science. Now you can't even do that because you're defective."

Yasmine walked off and I looked at Miguel. He gave me a look of concern and I rolled my eyes at the thought we both shared. 

"So, how'd you break your arm?" Miguel asked.

"We have a lot of catching up to do." Demetri said.

Later that day at lunch, I sat with Moon and we talked. I spotted Demetri getting his lunch. He was on his way back when he bumped into Kyler. Kyler was talking to him and then threw Demetri's tray into the trash. After a few minutes, Kyler spoke up.

"Hey guys, check this guy out. Standing around with a dick in his hand." He yelled.

Everyone started laughing and I looked over at Moon who looked worried. Demetri walked off and I went after him. I caught up to him.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked him.

"No. I thought if I took Hawk down, people would stop bullying me." He explained.

"I know what you mean." I answered.

I hugged him and continued on with the school day which was fairly boring.