Chapter 17

One month later:
Report - September 2018
Kanagawa Prefecture, Kawasaki City
Kinema Cinema
After the end of a screening... an employee discovered the mangled bodies of 3 male high school students.
Cause of death:
Due to a strange deformation of the cranium...
Increased intracranial pressure and paralysed breathing.

You. Itadori. And Nanami Kento, a jujutsu sorcerer. Were placed on the mission of discovering the death of the three students and figuring out what caused it.

"It's a gruesome scene. Are you prepared...? Itadori-kun. Y/N-kun?" Nanami asks.

You walked inside the cinema with Nanami and Itadori in tow.

"Can you see it? These are the remnants of magical power." Nanami says.

"Yeah. I see it." You reply.

"Nah. I can't see it at all." Itadori says.

"That's because you're not trying to see it. Usually, we can confirm curses by sight like it's second nature to us. When you exercise technique, you leave traces behind. We call them "remnants". However, they're faint compared to things like cursed spirits. Please strain your eyes and look closely." Nanami says to Itadori.

"Hmm." Itadori says, squinting his eyes.

"Oooh! I can see it!" Itadori says.

"Of course. An independent man must be able to realise something's presence before seeing it." Nanami says in a monotone voice.

"Jeez would it kill you to lighten up a bit?" You sigh in annoyance.

"You know, it would be nice if you could, like, give praise to encourage our improvement or something." Itadori muttered.

"I don't praise or speak ill of people. I conform to the truth and judge by that. That is the way I am. Once upon a time, I thought society was the same but... you don't need to hear that story, right? We'll follow the remnants." Nanami said.

"Alright! Let's go all out!" Itadori declares.

"Yeah! I agree with Yuji!" You add.

"No. If it can be done casually, let's do it casually." Nanami says.

"Buzz kill." You and Yuji thought.

"Even if you didn't say anything, I'd have made of you approve of me, you know. So wait a little more." Itadori says, winking.

"I agree with Yuji. You may think Shamans are shit. But I'll prove you wrong. About me at the very least." You add.

"No. Please say that to the higher-ups. Not me." Nanami says to Yuji.

"Ah yes. Nothing appeared on the surveillance camera, right?" Itadori asks as the three of you ascend a staircase.

"Yes. Apart from the victims, there was only one boy." Nanami replies.

"So the culprit is a cursed spirit?" Yuji asks.

"Well that's right." Nanami says.

"It's not possible that the boy did it... but something tells me that's not the case." You add.

"Be... be... bento." A curse says.