Chapter 18

"Please calm down and listen. What we are fighting..." Nanami pauses.

The two curses were returned to jujutsu tech, and Ieri was analysing them. She had then phoned Nanami to tell him her discovery.

"They're humans." Ieiri says into the phone.

"No. Maybe it's best to say they're ex-humans. They're the same as the three people in the movie theatre. Their bodies were forcibly contorted with sorcery." Ieiri adds.

"If it's just that, I could have noticed it from the beginning. The two people we were fighting were filled with magical power, just liked cursed spirits." Nanami says.

"That just sounds like an effect of the culprit's technique. There are traces of tampering around the brain stem. Disturbance of consciousness is likely... it was probably to produce a state of confusion. If they were even able to tamper with the brain, it's probably possible to reconstruct a human who can use magical power. Because the relationship between the brain and magical power is still likely a black box - unknown." Ieiri paused.

"Oh right. Are Y/N and Itadori listening?" Ieiri asks through the phone.

"Ah, yeah." Itadori replies.

"Yeah." You add.

"Loosely their cause of death is shock from having their bodies contorted. You two didn't kill them. Don't be mistaken by that." Ieiri says through the phone.

"Yes..." Itadori replies.

"I'm glad..." You add.

"Either way their deaths weigh heavy on me." Itadori says.

"I agree. It weighs heavy on my heart." You add, looking at the ground.

"Even so... this hobby is just too horrible." Itadori adds.

"The remnants themselves were a bluff. We must have been enticed." Nanami says.

"This person is skilled." Itadori says.

"It doesn't look like we'll finish this casually. Let's go all out." Nanami says, standing up.

"Yes." You and Yuji say in unison.

All three of you then met up with Ijichi to discuss the plan.

"We've obtained reports of remnants with the help of a "window". They seem to be linked to recent cases of missing persons and unnatural deaths around the area. With this, we can narrow down the location of the culprit's hideout." Nanami says.

"Alright. We'll just step right in there, right?!" Itadori asks.

"Itadori. There's 3 of us. Although the element of surprise is a good thing, there's still stuff we don't know. We know the person who caused this has a technique that can manipulate the body. But what else?" You say to Yuji.

"No. As Y/N said, there's still some uncertainty. I will continue my investigation so I will give you two a different job. The boy who was in the movie theatre... Yoshino Junpei. It seems he's classmates with the victims. They attend the same school." Nanami pauses.

"The surveillance camera were placed only in the passageway you see on the screen, but... from his appearance, I thought it was unlikely he'd be a curse specialist. However, since he's related to the victims, it's a different story." Nanami adds.

"Curse specialist?" Itadori asks, confused.

"Someone who specialises in curses?" You say, trying to explain to Yuji. But failing.

"A malignant shaman, in other words." Nanami explains.

"Since I've entrusted protocol to Ijichi... I'll leave the investigation into Yoshino Junpei to the three of you." Nanami says as the three of you go to leave.