❃ paris

Two weeks later

𝑴𝒂𝒚𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒆 𝑪𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒆

"Flower, wake up, love," a hand met my cheek, running softly over my jawline.

I grumbled as I sat up, checking my alarm clock. April 12th, 6:03AM.

"What do you want so early?" I groaned, patting down my bedhead. I looked confusedly at him; he was wearing a suit. "What're you doing wearing that at six in the morning?"

"It's the morning I leave for the trip to France," he sighed, "remember? I have to go with my Dad."

My heart dropped. "Oh."

"Come here," he pulled me into a tight hug, "I'll be back soon, I promise."

I knew that promise most likely wouldn't be upheld; the trip was meant to last for one week. They tended to last nearly a month, as The Dark Lord always seemed to pour more and more chores onto the travelers than the intended amount.

"I'm gonna miss you," he pulled away to cup my cheeks with his hands, wiping my tears with his thumbs before placing a soft kiss on my forehead.

"I'll miss you more," I smiled softly, the pain in my eyes evident as he pulled away from me, rolling his suitcase out of the door.

Before I could stop myself, I was chasing him into the dark hallway in only baggy sweatpants and a bra, pulling him back by his coat into a deep, passionate kiss I knew neither of us wanted to let go of. His hands met my waist, finally tearing away from me.

"I love you, kitten. Don't have too much fun without me," he smiled before returning to his blank, lifeless expression he wore whenever he was around adults, or on business. Quickly enough I watched him wipe a single tear from his face with his coat sleeve.

As I heard the front door open and close, I slid down the wall, curled my arms around my knees and wept.

I stayed there until sunrise, the circular stained glass window above the main hall illuminating beautiful beams of green sunlight onto the bejeweled chandelier, each diamond projecting an array of kaleidoscopic colors onto the walls.

That was the only time of day the manor would turn from lifeless, to a cathedral of light.

I shut my eyes, resting in a pocket of sunshine while slumped against the green wallpaper.

"You look like shit," Theo came out of his room with a bottle of tequila, slumping down next to me.

"So do you, day drinking at seven in the morning. How pleasant," I chuckled, leaning my head against his shoulder. "How long do you think he'll be gone, Theo?"

"I'm not sure, May. I guess we've all had to do a lot of waiting, apart from Daph and Blaise. Pansy can't see Luna any more as she's escaped, Naevah can hardly talk to Longbottom without being scolded, I can't write to George without putting him in danger, and Draco has to go out on these stupid missions for experience," he sighed, taking a swig. "Want some?"

"I'm alright, thanks," I smiled, soaking in the morning sunlight.

"Maybelle not drinking? Unheard of."

"It's too early, and I'd like to enjoy my pancakes without throwing them up," I smiled as the sudden smell of blueberry pancakes filled my nostrils from the kitchen downstairs.

"Let's get you a shirt, I'll ditch my tequila, then we can go downstairs and eat them all first, how does that sound?"

"Deal."