thirteen

SCARLETT LED JJ to the bathroom the second Kiara's car arrived at the Château. She dragged him down the hallway and sat him on the closed toilet lid, before turning to the cupboard and searching for the first aid kit. Without a word she took it out the cupboard under the sink, and placed it on the counter. She didn't speak as began to use the alcohol wipe to clean the small cuts on JJ's face. Confused, JJ moved his hand, placing it on hers as she held the wipe to his cheek. "Red, what are you doing?" He asked her, his voice soft.

"Fixing you up. Rafe got you bad, JJ." She answered, moving her hand out of his grip and continuing to gently wipe the cuts. She placed the used wipes next to her on the counter and picked up some bandages. "JJ, it would really help me if you either lifted up your shirt or just took it off. Rafe got you pretty bad on you stomach and maybe your ribs so I've got to check how bad the damage is."

"He got you worse." JJ told her, refusing to do as she had told him. "He nearly killed you, Lottie. And yet you're acting as if I got seriously injured back there." Scarlett placed the bandages on the counter next to the sink. "You don't have to try to fix me, Red." JJ said softly, placing one his hands on her own, and using the other to gently brush her hair out of her face. "I'm okay, Love. I promise." His thumb gently brushed over her cheek. "Let's get you cleared up, yeah?"

Scarlett nodded and the couple swapped places. JJ threw the used wipes in the bin before picking a new one out from the open first aid kit. "These might sting slightly." He whispered to her, slowly moving his hand to her face.

"Can't hurt more than what Rafe did..." Scarlett muttered, flinching slightly as JJ began to clean her freshly scarred face, making sure to be gentle.

❤❤❤

Scarlett followed JJ out of the bathroom- both of them having patched up each other's injuries- and walked through the Château to the porch where they joined Kiara and Pope. The pair sat down on the couch, JJ holding Scarlett close to him. Pope was pacing up and down before the group, and, according to Kiara, he had been doing that since they got back from the movies.

"Dude, stop pacing." JJ told him. "You're gonna give me whiplash, man."

"Pope, you need to calm down." Kiara said.

"No-" The boy turned around and pointed a finger at her. "How can I be calm when we are so... so dead. That fight is just the beginning of it- JJ said this was a war and he's correct." He began waving his arms around in the air, gesturing his point.

"Never thought I'd see the day when you agree with JJ." Scarlett commented. "The world really is ending."

"We're so dead." Pope continued to pace. "We're actually gonna die."

"We are not going to die, Pope. Don't be dramatic." Scarlett muttered. "Look, can we just chill out and forget about all this for a bit?" She asked.

Pope whirled around, fixing his gaze on her. "How are we meant to relax when the police could be pulling up here any moment!"

"Why would the police be coming to John B's place, dude?" JJ asked, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"Because your girlfriend confessed to a crime that she didn't even commit!" Pope answered, his voice raised.

"Scar, what the hell did you do now?" JJ questioned, turning his face to look at her with concern.

Scarlett pushed herself off the sofa. "I was trying to save you!" She retorted, pointing at Pope. "Topper was gonna kill you for not confessing so I thought I'd do you a favour and save your ass." She stood in front of him. "So what if I go to jail- it won't be the first time." She looked around at the other two. "I'd gladly take the blame for anyone of you."