thirty eight

THE SUN was just starting to peak over the horizon as the Pogues sailed through the marsh. "Anybody else starving?" JJ asked. "We need to grab some sort of breakfast."

Scarlett nodded, leaning her head on his shoulder. She hummed in agreement. "I can't even remember the last time we ate something."

John B began steering the boat towards the nearest dock. JJ looked down at Scarlett. "Your head okay?" He asked her, moving a piece of hair behind her ear. "I think you hit it pretty hard against the side of the truck. Sorry about that, Love."

"It's okay. Think I just might have a concussion at most." She tilted her head up at him, flashing him a small smile. The boat jolted slightly as John B pulled up to the dock. Pope climbed out first, tying the boat to the jetty.

"We're gonna find some food." Sarah announced, following behind Kiara, the two girls stepping onto the dock. "You coming Lottie?"

"Yup." Scarlett grinned, standing up and crossing to the other side of the boat. "You boys behave yourselves." She joked over her shoulder. The three girls walked through the long grass for what felt like ages until Kiara spotted some watermelons. Scarlett groaned in hunger as she sat on the grass between her two friends, digging into the fresh fruit.

"Okay, so you really got married?" Kiara asked Sarah between mouthfuls of food.

Scarlett grinned in disbelief. "I never would've thought John B would get married."

"I mean, it wasn't exactly legal, but..." Sarah shrugged. "Yeah." She grinned.

Scarlett smiled, happy to see how in love her two friends were. "Aww. Wait, does this make you my sister-in-law?" She exclaimed excitedly.

"Kinda?" Sarah replied. "I mean, you and John B aren't technically siblings. But yeah, I guess." Scarlett squealed, dropping her watermelon and almost jumping on Sarah as she pulled the girl into a hug. "What about you and JJ? Will yours be the next wedding of the group?"

"I hope so." Scarlett answered. "I'm so in love with him, you know? I just don't wanna get married for at least another few years."

The girls nodded in understanding. They ate in silence for a few minutes before Sarah looked up at Kiara. "Am I crazy, or is there definitely something going on between you and Pope?" She smiled as Scarlett leaned her head on her shoulder.

"Oh, for sure." Scarlett grinned. "I see the way you've been looking at him, Kie. There's feelings there."

"Maybe." Kiara shrugged, a small smile forming on her face.

"That's not a no." Sarah pointed out.

Kiara nodded. "It's not a no."

"I say you should go for it." Scarlett told her. "We know he feels the same way. What have you got to lose?"

"I just don't want our friendship to mess up if it doesn't work out." Kiara told her honestly. "What if his feelings have changed?"

Scarlett sat up straight, resting her back against the bench. "Believe me, Pope's feelings haven't changed. Trust me, Kie. I see the way he looks at you. He's got all the feels for you."

⭐⭐⭐

"So, uh, what's up with this Kiara stuff there, big guy?" John B asked Pope, moving to sit across from the boy.

Pope sighed, shrugging his shoulders. "Uh, honestly, I don't know right now, man. I mean, I definitely like her."

"Sure."

"And I'm pretty sure she likes me." Pope continued.

"Seems like it." John B said as JJ jumped down from the crow's nest, coming to sit at the bottom of it.