forty six

THE NEXT morning, Scarlett found herself waking up to an empty bed. She groaned slightly, her head pounding as she rolled onto her side. Through the closed door, she could hear the faint sound of voices of the boys hanging out on the porch. After a few minutes just laying under the blanket, Scarlett managed to climb out the bed. She quickly freshened up in the bathroom, changing into a cropped sweater and shorts. Throwing her hair up into a messy bun, she left the bathroom and headed towards the porch, picking up an apple from the kitchen counter on her way past.

"Morning." Scarlett greeted her friends, taking a bite from the apple. "We all feeling shit then, I see? Not just me." She mused, taking note of how the Pogues were sprawled out on various pieces of the porch's furniture- except JJ who was shooting hoops into the basketball net hung up outside the house.

The blonde looked over to her as he picked up the basketball, preparing to throw it into the basket again. As he did, he sent her a smile. "I would've woken you earlier but you looked really tired last night so I figured you should sleep in."

"Thanks." Scarlett smiled. She took another bite of her apple as she walked across the porch, taking a seat on the couch. Kiara had taken to laying on the sofa, but curled her legs close to her chest so Scarlett could sit down. "So, last night was something. Huh?" The blonde girl sighed, letting Kiara rest her feet on her lap.

Pope hummed in agreement. "The fight was... pretty epic, I'll admit. Never seen a Kook versus Pogue fight that big." Scarlett nodded, knowing exactly what the boy meant. Though there were always disagreements between the two sides of the island, neither of the teens had seen a fight that huge break out between them.

"Did you guys see Kelce's face?" John B asked.

"Bomb drop!" JJ called before anyone could answer, throwing the ball at the hoop. He let out a groan when it bounced off the wall and hit the couch harshly.

"Another broken couch." John B sighed.

"You gotta sleep there, tonight." Pope joked to JJ.

JJ shrugged. "I always sleep there." At the sound of the porch door opening, he and the other Pogues turned their attention. "Hey." JJ said as Sarah stepped onto the porch. "Well, hello, princess." He spoke sarcastically, putting on a fake English accent.

"Morning." Scarlett sent the girl a small smile. Despite the tension between Sarah and John B, Scarlett still like the Kook girl. Over the few weeks Sarah Cameron had become her friend, and Scarlett hoped they would stay friends even if her and John B never made up.

"What's up?" Kiara asked her, moving her head slightly to see the Cameron girl.

John B didn't seem happy that Sarah had turned up at the Château. "Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" He quipped. "Or did you break up with Topper?"

"We're just friends." Sarah answered, walking towards the centre of the circle of furniture the Pogues had scattered themselves on.

John B smiled sarcastically up at her. "He's just a friend." He repeated. "You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron."

She spun around to face him. "Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too." She shot at him, her tone fairly harsh.

John B sat up straighter in the armchair, changing the subject as he did so. "Alright, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for Pope." Sarah sighed. She turned to the boy, who's face furrowed in confusion. "I think I found the island room." Sarah said, wasting no time in getting straight to the point. As soon as the words left her mouth, the Pogues all sat up and leaned forward in their seats. Scarlett's eyes widened, unsure how to react to Sarah's statement.