fourteen

SOME TIME passed before both of the teenagers were questioned by Sheriff Peterkin. JJ was first, which left Scarlett alone with her thoughts. Her mind drifted between wondering what JJ was telling Peterkin, to what her father would do when she was allowed to use her one phone call to tell him about the mess she was in. She knew his reaction was going to be bad, she just couldn't work out how bad it was going to be. Her thoughts were pushed away when JJ was brought back to the cell and she was ushered out. Scarlett barely had time to look at him before she was walked down the hallway to the Sheriff's office. Peterkin was already sat behind her desk when Scarlett walked in. The police officer shut the door behind him, leaving the Sheriff to talk to the girl.

"I honestly don't know what to do with you anymore." Peterkin sighed, eyes on Scarlett as she sat down in the chair- resting her handcuffed hands on the table. "You and that boyfriend of yours are like a little rock in my shoe." She eyed Scarlett up and down before continuing. "I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again."

Scarlett shrugged at the woman. "Get better shoes, maybe?" She suggested, smirking slightly.

Peterkin shook her head at the girl, already knowing the conversation would play out exactly the same way it did whenever the Woods girl was in the station. "That little rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it." She pulled the file on her desk closer to her and opened it. "Trespass on protected habitat." Peterkin read out. "Felony destruction of property. Not to mention the amount of fights you've reported to be in." She tutted. "I see the wounds on your face."

Scarlett raised an eyebrow. "How'd you know these aren't from my father, huh?" She questioned. "He's hurt me way more times than you could ever imagine."

The Sheriff continued, ignoring Scarlett's comments. "All this in the last two weeks. You and that Maybank boy are on a roll."

Scarlett shrugged. "Nothin' else to do 'round here."

"So you turn to crime?" Peterkin questioned. "That attitude ain't gonna get you nowhere." She eyed the teenager before her, who seemed less than fazed as she shrugged for the third time. "I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory." Scarlett frowned in confusion. "The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in Wadesboro? Not able to look after your sister."

Scarlett looked down, her gaze on her beaten up trainers. She didn't know how to respond to the Sheriff. If she ended up in Wadesboro, there's no way Maisie would be able to live at the Carrera's anymore- she'd have to move back in with their father. And there's no telling what he would do. She didn't answer as Peterkin pulled out two pieces of paper, laying them in front of her on the desk.

"You know these two?" The woman asked, and Scarlett lifted her head to see the photographs. Recognition crossed over her face for a moment before she went back to her usual unbothered expression. Before her lay photographs of the two men that had shot at her and the Pogues when they were on the marsh. When Scarlett didn't answer, Peterkin stood up and walked round the desk, standing over Scarlett's shoulder. "My question was, do you know these two?" She repeated, pointing at the mugshots.

"I- I recognise them, I guess." Scarlett shrugged. "It's a small island."

"Could you tell me where exactly you saw them?" Peterkin asked, sitting down on the edge of her desk. Scarlett bit the inside of her lip, unsure if she should say anything. "You know I don't like playing games, Miss Woods."

Scarlett took a deep breath, looking back down at the photographs. "They... they broke into both mine and John B's houses, and... they took some stuff, I guess." She shrugged. "I don't know exactly what."