twenty four

"HOW'S IT feeling?" Pope asked Kiara, who was sat in the pulley system which the boys had strung up in the tree. The group had waited a while before getting to work, waiting to see if Scarlett was going to return from wherever she had disappeared to. When she didn't return after an hour, they decided it would be better if they got to work- not wanting to waste anymore time.

"Feels good." Kiara nodded, adjusting the chain that was tied to the tree branch.

"Right, I'm taking you down." Pope told her, beginning to lower both Kiara and the pulley system.

JJ placed his beer bottle next to him on the side of the jacuzzi. "John B and Red pullin' a Houdini." He stated.

"Yeah, where are they?" Pope asked, having not seen either of them all day. "I got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!" He stressed.

JJ shrugged. "I saw Red this morning, she was sat by the water's edge."

"Did you guys talk?" Kiara asked him, wondering if the pair had worked things out.

"Yeah, but then she just disappeared." JJ told the other two. "She told me she had to think about things so I guess that's what she disappeared off to do." He shrugged again, taking another sip of his beer. "I dunno 'bout John B though."

Another few moments passed before John B stormed past the group, Scarlett rushing behind him- begging the boy to not do anything rash. "Speak of the devil!" JJ announced, calling out to his friend. "Hey! Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything." JJ told them proudly.

"No, he did not. I did that." Pope quickly corrected.

A small smile formed on Scarlett's face as she looked over at the blonde boy. "I'm really sorry I wasn't here to help. Other things kinda... well, something happened." She gestured towards John B, who had yet to even look at the others.

JJ carefully analysed Scarlett's face, noticing how red and puffy her eyes looked. It didn't take him too long to realise she had been crying again. Jumping down from the jacuzzi, he made his way over to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and puling her close to him. "You okay?" He asked, his voice quiet. Scarlett simply shook her head- scared she would start crying again if she spoke.

"Hey." Kiara called out to John B, getting no response as she, Pope, JJ and Scarlett watched him storm into the house.

"Uh... Lottie, you were with him. What was that all about?" Pope asked, his gaze shifting from the house to the brunette.

"I was gonna ask the same question." JJ said, gently rubbing his hand up and down Scarlett's back.

Scarlett took a shaky breath, pulling her head away from JJ's chest. "It's- Um, it's difficult to explain. But, we visited Lana and she told us everything that happened the day our parents disappeared."

The group all shared a worried look before rushing into the cabin, only to see John B ransacking the drawers and cabinets in the kitchen. He was turning the place upside down as he looked for a particular object. "You all right, man?" Pope asked him, following him to a glass cupboard. "What- what's up?"

"What are you looking for?" Kiara asked, her voice full of worry.

"Bro, what's going on?" JJ asked him.

Scarlett stepped forward, placing a hand on John B's shoulder as he searched under the sofa bed. "JB, come on. Let's just talk about this."

"No, Lottie. There's nothing to talk about." John B told her, his voice harsh and full of rage. He pushed her hand away, sending her backwards before picking up the gun that had been hidden under the various cushions on the couch.