thirty three

"I NEVER doubted them." JJ grinned as the Pogues walked out the back exit of the Wreck.

Scarlett laughed, feeling the happiest she had felt in weeks. "I can't believe they're alive!"

"I owe you five bucks." Kiara laughed, hopping down the steps. The others followed after her, still buzzing from the news.

"Hey, Kiara, I need those setups done by five!" Mrs. Carrera yelled over to her daughter. "Get Scarlett to help you if you need to."

"There are other people that work here." Kiara replied, grabbing Scarlett's hand and dragging her down the dock.

"But none of 'em are my children!" Mrs. Carrera called back.

Scarlett looked over her shoulder, calling over to the woman. "Sorry Mrs. C. Today's my one day off." Ever since she'd moved into her father's house, Scarlett had worked less shifts so as to have more free time to work on her studies or spend much needed time with her new-found family. Besides, she didn't need to stress over earning enough to pay for groceries and rent any more- which was definitely a plus.

"I feel that." Pope nodded, sitting on the raised part of the jetty. "On a deep, emotional level, I understand that."

"So, we going to the Bahamas or what?" JJ asked, chucking his bag down on the bench.

Scarlett shook her head, sitting down next to Kiara. "There's no way we could get to the Bahamas." She took the blonde boy's hat as he leant his elbows on the platform next to her, and ruffled his hair.

"Lottie's right." Pope voiced his agreement. "We're not gonna get to the Bahamas, dude."

"John B will get nabbed sooner or later." Kiara pointed out to them. "So if we're gonna clear his name, we need to have done it yesterday."

JJ stood up straight, taking his baseball cap back from Scarlett's hands. "I'll tell you how we do it." He said, placing the hat back on his head.

"So you have it all planned out?" Pope asked, sounding sceptical. Scarlett raised her eyebrow at the blonde as he paced down to where Pope was sat.

"As a matter of fact, I do." JJ smirked, spinning back around to face the Pogues. "We kidnap Rafe."

"I'm sorry, what?" Pope asked, his disapproval obvious.

"JJ, I love you. But that's insane." Scarlett said, shaking her head at the boy.

"We kidnap Rafe, tie him up and stick the gun in his mouth and just wait till he starts squawking." He used his fingers to imitate the gun.

"You know, torture's a war crime." Kiara voiced.

Scarlett nodded. "Yeah, that's pretty illegal J."

"Yeah, so how exactly do you plan on clearing John B's name from a prison cell?" Pope asked the blonde. "Because that's a felony."

JJ shrugged, sitting down on the bench behind him. "All right, well, what do you got, Pope?" He asked. "I was just trying to keep it simple. You know, one stop, and we're done."

"Guys, all we need is a material witness." Pope told them.

"We have one. Lottie." JJ answered, gesturing to the girl.

Scarlett shook her head. "No. The police don't believe me. Shoupe thought I was lying about the whole thing."

"He didn't arrest you though." JJ pointed out.

"Because my dad paid him not to." The blonde girl explained. "And before you ask, no he can't pay out Shoupe to let John B off the hook. He's an actual murder suspect. We have to find proper evidence from another witness to be able to clear John B's name."