eight

"WHAT IS it?" Scarlett asked, moving to stand next to John B. "Did you find something? It's not another snake, is it?" She asked, leaning on John B's shoulder as she tried to peer through the hole. Kiara didn't say anything as she picked up the two white envelopes she had found and walked back over to the hole. She handed the discovery to John B and both him and Scarlett moved away so Kiara could climb back through.

"That's not gold." Pope sighed as he handed the lantern to Scarlett, who held it over the envelopes. Pope then turned back to the hole, helping Kiara as she climbed back out.

Scarlett leaned over John B's shoulder as she read the sharpie on front of the first envelope. 'For Bird'. "Here, there's another one. I think it might be for you, Lottie." John B said, handing her the second envelope. This one read, 'For my little flower' and Scarlett teared up at the sight of her mother's handwriting.

"Mom..." Scarlett whispered, lifting a hand to her cheek and wiping away a few stray tears.

"Holy shit." John B breathed out. He slowly lifted his head and looked around at his friends. "This is from my dad."

Scarlett looked up at JJ, who clicked his lighter and lit up his joint. She stepped forward, taking it from him. "Alright, let me have a smoke, then." She brought the joint to her lips and let out a sigh as she released a puff of smoke from her mouth.

"What happened to not turning up high as a kite to Kie's house?" He asked, looking down at her.

Scarlett shrugged as she took another hit. "Things change, JJ. I just found a parcel from my missing mother. I think that calls for a bit of a smoke."

JJ shook his head at her as he took the joint from between her fingers. "And here I was thinking you were the responsible one..." He took a hit of the joint, looking up at the sound of an approaching vehicle. "Code red. Code red." He turned back to the group, grabbing Scarlett's hand and pulling her back to the others. "Square groupers! Square groupers!"

"Go, go, go." Kiara said as they all ran around the mausoleum so they could hide behind it.

"It's the guys who robbed your house." JJ said, holding on tight to Scarlett's hand and keeping her close to him as they ran. They all crouched down behind the stone building.

"Guys, lights!" Kiara reminded them, switching off her torch. The others followed her lead, making sure to turn off their light sources.

"Turn your light off, man!" Pope hissed, reaching up and turning off JJ's head-torch. Scarlett rolled her eyes as JJ used the mausoleum wall to put out his joint.

"John B?" Kiara asked, looking concerned as he struggled to turn off his lantern. "Your light!"

Scarlett leaned over and grabbed the lantern from John B. She rolled her eyes as she flipped the switch at the bottom, sending the group into darkness. The dark only lasted for a second before a set of headlights appeared as a vehicle approached the mausoleum. "I think I see something." A voice said, although it sounded distant. JJ poked his head around the corner as a sort of look-out.

"What do you see?" Scarlett whispered. "What's happening?" She handed the lantern back to John B, who nodded gratefully at her.

"Do you think it's them?" Kiara asked.

"Knowing our luck, it is." Scarlett huffed, leaning her head back against the wall.

JJ gulped and nodded his head slightly. "Homie's got a gun." He whispered.

"Oh, shit." Scarlett whispered. "We're gonna die. I fucking knew it."

Pope shook his head at her. "You said we'd get eaten by zombies. This isn't the same thing."