twenty eight

LOUD MUSIC blasted through the speakers of the car as Pope drove them through the Outer Banks. "Pope, you totally clocked that car, man." JJ laughed, passing his blunt to Scarlett. "Like, that was so bad!"

Scarlett blew out smoke from between her lips. "Oh, what a day we've had..." She laughed. "It's been an eventful one."

Pope took a smoke of the joint he was holding, looking over his shoulder to the two in the back of the car. "I'm just glad I'm not driving right now." He was clearly unaware of his own actions, as he was still driving Kiara's car. JJ erupted into laughter, finding it amusing that Pope didn't know what he was doing.

Kiara rolled her eyes, obviously stressed from the last couple of days. "Pull over." She looked over her shoulder, shooting a stern look at JJ.

Scarlett nodded, taking another hit. "Pope, I love ya, man. But I do not feel safe with you driving right now." The car flew round another corner before Pope pressed on the breaks, the tires squealing. Scarlett was flung forward in her seat.

Kiara groaned as she pushed open her door. "JJ, it's not funny. He shouldn't be driving." She gestured to Scarlett, who had taken to sitting sideways in the backseat- her legs resting atop JJ's. "Hell. even Lottie knows that and she's almost as high as you." She climbed out the passenger seat, slamming the door behind her, and walking over to the driver's side.

JJ snickered, his eyes wide as he attempted to hold back a laugh. "Mama's mad." He whispered. Scarlett snorted, coughing up a cloud of smoke from the hit she had just taken. Kiara stood by Pope's window, gesturing for the boy to move before climbing behind the wheel.

"Where are we goin'?" JJ asked, pulling the joint he and Pope had been sharing from his lips.

Kiara looked over her shoulder, putting the car into drive and beginning to turn off the road. "The last place they're gonna look." She answered.

Scarlett raised her eyebrows, sending a questioning look to JJ. "That's very vague, Kie. You know that right?"

❤❤❤

After working out where Pope had driven them to, Kiara managed to drive them to the location of her choice. It took Scarlett a moment or two to figure out where her best friend had driven them to, but then it clicked. "Sarah Cameron's house? Kie, what the fuck are we doing here?"

Kiara paused as she climbed out the car, looking at her friend through the rear-view mirror. "Just trust me. Okay? I've got a plan." She climbed out the car, turning to look at the band of misfits. "I need you three to stay focused. Got it? This is serious shit."

Scarlett nodded, sending the girl a salute. "Totally, 100% serious."

"Perfectly focused." Pope nodded as Kiara shut her door. He climbed out of the passenger seat and followed after her.

"You sure this is a good idea?" JJ called after her, leaning his head on the back of Pope's seat.

"She's the only one who can clear John B." Kiara pointed out, shining her torch at the Cameron's fence, before beginning to climb it. "Because the cops won't listen to Lottie, that's for sure."

"Cops are bullshit." Scarlett muttered, pushing her door open and following after her friends.

"Last place they'll look because of how stupid it is." JJ called after them.

Scarlett rolled her eyes, pausing at the top of the fence. "I think it's actually a pretty good idea."

Kiara nodded at her, jumping down onto the grass. "Thank you, Lottie." Scarlett jumped down, walking quickly to catch up with her friends. "Okay, I've got a plan."