five

THE NEXT morning found the Pogues sitting outside the small shack in John B's garden. They all sat around, deep in their thoughts. Since she'd found out that JJ was the one who fired the gun, she had been avoiding him. She couldn't believe that he had been so stupid. They both knew that the avoidance wouldn't last, sooner or later Scarlett would need him to comfort her after another night of her dad being the asshole that he was. Or, she would just cave and talk to him- having missed his company. So, instead of turning to JJ, she turned to Kiara, quietly asking the girl to help her wrap up her injuries. The bruising on her stomach and just over her ribs wasn't too bad- she just needed help bandaging the cuts on the top of her temple.

"So, what are actually doing out here so early?" Scarlett asked, glancing over her shoulder at John B. Kiara placed the last band aid over the cuts on Scarlett's temple and the two girls turned around, facing John B. "Not that I'm complaining, I'm used to being awake early. I'm just curious about why we're all here." She shrugged.

He stood up from his seat, shaking his head. "Look, I'm callin' it off. All right? Peterkin said, if I stay out of the marsh, she'll help me with DCS."

Scarlett scoffed. She wasn't a huge fan of the island's sheriff department. Her mother had turned to them multiple times over the months leading up to her disappearance, asking for help in getting away from her husband. But they had turned her away several times, not believing her. Even though Sheriff Peterkin was a decent cop, Scarlett still didn't trust her. "What? We're just gonna trust the cops? No fucking way, man." She shook her head.

"And you believed her?" JJ asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I believe her, JJ." John B sighed. He turned to Scarlett. "I know how her deputies treated your mom, but... I really can't end up in foster care."

Scarlett rubbed a hand over her face, shrugging. "It's your decision, JB." She stood up and walked over to the table just outside the sheltered area.

JJ glanced over to her before turning back to John B. "An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop." He picked up a stone and chucked it into the grass, watching as it landed.

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple of days, and she'll help me out." John B told them.

"I doubt that." Scarlett scoffed. "She's a cop. And all cops do is lie, John B. That's all they fucking do."

"Well, it doesn't help that your ass was the one shooting the gun." John B exclaimed, his attention on JJ. Scarlett turned her head, looking over at JJ as she waited for his response.

"You know what I should have done?" JJ retorted. "Just let Topper drown your ass. I mean, he almost killed both you and Red because she was dumb enough to try and help you."

"Topper was gonna drown me?" John B asked, slightly sceptical.

"Sure looked like it." JJ tilted his head in Scarlett's direction. "I mean, why would Lottie go all 'She-Hulk' on his ass if he wasn't?"

"Okay, I did not go all 'She-Hulk' on him." Scarlett defended, raising her hands.

"You tried to strangle him." Pope reminded her. "You jumped on his back and wrapped your blue flannel around his neck."

"Because he was drowning John B!"

"Funny." John B commented with a shrug.

"Me trying to save your life is funny?" Scarlett questioned, turning her gaze on him.

"Have you looked in a mirror?" JJ asked him, hopping off the table he was perched on. He glanced over at Scarlett. "Have either of you looked in a mirror lately? Because you both got beat pretty bad."