thirty

DRIVING TO the storage facility where the Phantom was stored, the three Pogues sat in a relatively comfortable silence. The radio was off at Scarlett's request. She felt it was better if they didn't listen to the constant news reports as they were on edge enough. There were barely any other cars on the road, and with Kiara's car being listed on the wanted poster, she was scared they would be caught before making it to the Phantom. Scarlett also found herself thinking about the storm warning Mrs. Carrera had given them- she wasn't oblivious to the slowly darkening sky above them.

"It'll be fine." JJ spoke, picking up on the anxiety the two girls were feeling. His fingers were twirling the keys around his hand as he had been doing on and off for the length of the car journey. "It'll be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out quick."

Scarlett opened her mouth to reply but was cut off by the sound of police sirens blaring. "Shit." Scarlett mumbled, her gaze fixed straight ahead. She watched with baited breath as the police cars began driving straight towards them, scared they'd get pulled over. If that happened, everything they'd have done over the past couple of days would have been for nothing.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." JJ added, ducking down in his seat. He reached an arm back, signalling for Scarlett to do the same. She undid her seatbelt, curling into a ball and laying across the back seats so as to not be seen. Kiara sat perfectly still, pretending like she wasn't paying attention to the three police vehicles that sped past them.

Once the police were out of view, both JJ and Scarlett sat back up in there seats. "They're still looking. It's a good sign." Kiara told them.

Scarlett absent-mindly nodded, unsure what to say or what to believe. She sat back in her seat and watched as JJ began twirling the keys around his hand again, also not saying anything.

❤❤❤

The rest of the drive to the storage facility was uneventful with no police cars passing them. And soon enough Scarlett and Kiara were stood behind JJ as he unlocked the door to the storage unit that held the Phantom. "There she be." The blonde announced, sliding the door open to reveal the Phantom sitting on a trailer. He let out a contented sigh as he stared at the boat.

"How'd your dad even get the money for this thing?" Scarlett asked. "Boats aren't exactly cheap."

JJ looked over to her as he stepped up to the boat, patting it fondly. "That's a question even I wouldn't ask." He reached up, tugging away the white sheet that covered the front of the boat. "Hey, girl. A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom." He turned towards the girls, a smile forming on his face.

"You lost me after 1983, JJ." Scarlett teased with a grin on her face.

"Mm-mm." Kiara hummed, nodding slightly.

"The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours." JJ informed them, resting a hand against the side of the boat.

"Not gonna lie to you, JJ. But it sounds like you love this boat more than you love me." Scarlett laughed.

JJ shook his head at her. "Nah, I couldn't love the Phantom more than you, Doll." He paused, looking over his shoulder at her and grinning. "But, she is impressive. Forty years old! Forty. And still, she's the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen." Scarlett's smile never faltered as she watched the blonde boy gush over the boat. It felt cheesy to think, but seeing him happy made her even more happier.

Kiara shrugged her shoulders. "It's kind of a junker."

JJ gasped and spun to face her, his face falling ever so slightly. He looked at Kiara as if she had just betrayed him. "Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you." He pointed to the Phantom. "Let's just put it this way. Neither of you would be smokin' weed right now if she never existed, okay?" He knelt down, hooking the boat trailer to the back of the car.