seventeen

LATER THAT day, the Pogues found themselves hanging out at The Wreck. It was the only place where they were all able to meet as Scarlett had taken up a double shift that day to make-up for not working over the previous days. The restaurant wasn't very busy, meaning it was easier for the teen to join in with John B's important meeting he had called them all there for.

"I'm sorry. You're staying where?" Kiara asked in disbelief. John B had just told them the news that Ward Cameron had become his new guardian- which wasn't news to group at all as Sarah Cameron had already told them that morning at the hospital. What was shocking, was hearing those words leave John B's mouth. It made that fact feel all the more real, which none of them liked.

"Tannyhill." John B answered.

Scarlett shook her head at the boy as she wiped down one of the tables. "You're joking, right?" She asked him, her voice croaky due to her strained vocal chords. "Living with the Cameron's? Even I wouldn't want that." She pretended to shudder.

"No, Lottie. I'm not joking."

"So you're living with Sarah Cameron." Kiara confirmed, the anger in her voice heavily present. She turned around and carried the tray she was holding over to the table Scarlett had just finished cleaning. Kiara placed the five drinks on the table as Pope took a seat and JJ leaned on the back of one of the other chairs.

John B rubbed his hand over his face. "Okay, look, the only reason I'm living there is because her dad bailed me out, right?" He explained, leaning his elbows on the bar counter. "And it's way better than foster care, which, by the way, is where I was about to go if Ward didn't-" He started walking towards the table.

"Hey, so do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope asked, cutting off the end of his sentence. He leaned back in his chair, resting his hands behind his head. Scarlett let out a small laugh, resting a hand on her hip as she took a sip of the soft drink Kiara had brought over to them.

"I don't know, Pope." John B sighed, sitting down opposite JJ.

"I bet you do." Scarlett smirked. "You can take Sarah golfing and have a little quickie in the golf club bathrooms." She laughed. John B rolled his eyes at her, looking thoroughly annoyed with all the joking around. "Though, would be a bit weird seeing as how her dad is now your legal guardian... Wouldn't that make you almost like siblings?" She quipped.

John B shook his head at her. "Shut up Lottie. You know it's not like that." Scarlett hummed in response and took another sip of her cold drink.

"What about those golf carts they drive around? You get one of them?" JJ asked. He walked round the table, coming to a stop next to Scarlett and threw his arm around her shoulder.

A grin formed on the brunette's face. "You and Sarah could totally do it one of the golf carts." She announced sarcastically.

"Can we please stop listing off places where John B could have sex with Sarah Cameron?" Kiara asked, a slight scowl on her face.

"Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?" Pope asked John B, continuing to tease the boy.

"Look, you promised." Kiara told the boy. "You said you weren't with her."

"Bro, just own it." JJ said to him. "She got you."

"You're so whipped, man." Scarlett smirked.

"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's fine." Kiara said. "But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah."

Scarlett nodded. "And, if Kie's out, so am I. I'm sorry dude, but I'm not working with the 'Kook Princess'."

John B looked around the table at the Pogues. "Do you guys see her here?" He asked them. "No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic. We've got the map, right?"