eighteen

AFTER SPENDING the night at their own houses, Scarlett wasn't surprised when John B asked them all to join him at the Château for a meeting before leaving back to the Cameron's house. In the hour or so while he was gone, Scarlett found herself sitting on the dock, swinging her legs back and forth as she watched her feet graze the water. Leaning her head against one of the low wooden beams, she closed her eyes- enjoying the feeling of momentary calm the sun brought.

"I don't know what you're thinking about, but it must be something happy since you're smiling." A voice sounded from next to her. Looking up, Scarlett realised it was Pope and she patted the space next to her for him to sit. "So, what are you thinking about that's making you so happy? Is it JJ?"

Scarlett shook her head gently. "I'm just enjoying the calm while I can."

A smile graced Pope's face as he looked away from her and out across the water. "You haven't been this calm in ages. Did JJ give you one of his blunts, or..?"

Scarlett laughed slightly. "No, no. Though, that reminds me. We need some celebratory drinks with maybe a joint or two since we've found the gold." She fluttered her eyes open and looked down at the water.

"Maybe wait till we actually have the gold on us." Pope suggested.

Scarlett nodded, opening her mouth to respond when she was cut off by JJ announcing the return of John B- this time with Sarah Cameron. The brunette rolled her eyes as she pulled her feet back up onto the dock and stood up. Following behind Pope, the two of them made their way back up to the house, each taking seats on the porch. Scarlett took a seat on JJ's lap, with Pope sitting on the stool next to the couple. Both John B and Sarah walked up to the porch, taking their seats on the couch as the former explained his plan.

Kiara angrily pushed herself up from her chair. "No effing way!" She exclaimed, beginning to pace across the porch. "You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?"

There was a moment of silence as John B looked over to the others. "JB, this was your idea. And I think Kie has a point." Scarlett said, leaning back into JJ's chest. JJ handed her one of his pre-rolled blunts and she didn't hesitate to light it up and take a hit.

"Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." JJ told John B, voicing his thoughts on the situation.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote." Kiara exclaimed, turning her attention back to John B. "This is our thing." She gestured to herself, John B and the other three who were sat the other end of the porch. "A Pogue thing."

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all this." Pope voiced.

"Thank you!" Kiara shouted, pointing to Pope.

"When are you not?" John B asked.

"I dunno." Pope answered. "I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably."

JJ nodded his head, taking the joint from Scarlett's fingers and taking a hit himself. "That's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him." JJ handed the joint back to Scarlett.

"That's cute, guys." John B commented. "Lottie, what about you? Huh? We've been best friends since before we could talk. Surely you can back me up."

Scarlett shrugged her shoulders. "Look, JB. Do I hate Sarah? No. But I don't like her." She looked over at said girl. "Sorry, no offence. I get you two are like a thing, or whatever. But you can't just bring someone else into our secret, John B. That's not how this works." Scarlett ran a hand over her face and sighed. "I'm not against her staying if it's okay with everyone else. But you really should've spoken to us first." JJ wrapped an arm around her, patting her knee as she took another smoke from the joint.