twenty

THE NEXT morning, the Pogues- along with their new member, Sarah- regrouped at John B's van, which was parked outside the Château. Scarlett climbed into the van, leaning over Sarah's shoulder in order to look at the paper Kiara was holding. "He said it looked something like this." The dark haired girl said, pointing to the sketch of the boys' plan to retrieve the gold- which looked, to Scarlett, more complicated than she thought it would be. "That's 50 feet down, and they're using 100-feet rope." Kiara pointed out.

Leaning forward, Scarlett pointed to a particular part of Pope's sketch. "I'm guessing they're gonna use that little wagon to bring up the gold?" She stepped out of the van, walking a couple of paces towards the boys. "You should've gotten me to draw up that sketch, you know." She told them, folding her arms across her chest. "I'm the artistic one of the team."

Pope shrugged at her. "Well, we came up with the final plan last night, and you'd already fallen asleep on John B's couch..."

JJ nodded, walking over and throwing his arm around her shoulder. "And we didn't want a repeat of the incident that happened last time we woke you from a nap."

John B chuckled slightly. "Exactly. Didn't enjoy having a lamp thrown at my head."

A scowl formed on Scarlett's face and she shook her head slightly. "Firstly, it wasn't a lamp, it was a pillow, JB. And secondly, it wasn't an incident."

"You threw a pillow at John B and told us to- and I quote- 'fuck off back to hell'." JJ pointed out to her.

Laughing, Sarah and Kiara joined them outside the van. "When was this?" The former asked.

"Last year." Pope answered.

Scarlett huffed. "For your information, I was dreaming about Ben Barnes and you disturbed me from my nice dream. Nothing comes between me and my dreams."

Pope raised an eyebrow at her. "So, you threw a pillow at us?"

She nodded. "And I'd do it again." She shook her head at the boys. "Anyway, we've got some work to do." Scarlett moved JJ's arm from her shoulder, grabbing her hand in his and leading him back to the van. "You got the gold?" She asked him.

JJ nodded, looking over his shoulder at Kiara. "You sure this'll work?" He asked, dropping the gold onto the floor of the van. "We can't pawn this if there's a giant wheat symbol on it."

Kiara leaned around him and into the van, picking up the hand torch. "It's gonna work." She told him, no trace of doubt in her voice.

❤❤❤

The drive to the pawn shop was filled with both excitement and nervousness about selling the gold. By the time John B parked the van, Scarlett had already bitten most of her nails from her anxiety. "You alright?" JJ asked her as he slid open the van door.

Scarlett nodded, jumping out and onto the pavement. "Just a bit worried, but I'm okay."

Climbing out after her, JJ unwrapped the cloth that held the now melted bars of gold. "Hell of a job melting it down, Dr. Frankenstein." He commented.

"Like you could've done better." Kiara retorted, rolling her eyes as she stepped out the van.

"I could have." JJ responded as the group joined together outside the pawn shop. "I took a welding class."

Scarlett snorted. "Like you actually showed up to that class. You ditched it to smoke round the back of the school with me because I had a free period." She reminded him.

"Whoa. Chill out, okay?" John B said, trying to calm the situation.

"Easy for you to say." JJ huffed. "You're not the one that has to pawn this piece of shit off." He held up the gold, waving it in John B's face. "How did I get this job anyway?"