forty seven

*TW for this chapter- non-consensual human contact* (Scene marked with stars, if you wish to skip)

"AH, CRAP! The tide!" John B exclaimed as he rolled the Twinkie to a stop. Scarlett leaned forward, looking over JJ's shoulder to see through the cracked window. While they had been at the Angel Oak, the tide had washed all the water in, drowning the dirt path they needed to drive across.

"Oh, this doesn't look good." Pope sighed.

"How deep is that?" Kiara asked from the backseat.

John B shrugged. "I dunno. The road's gone."

"The tide rose faster than I thought it would." JJ commented. "Uh, John B, how high are the spark plugs?"

"They're good. We're fine." John B answered, his words not doing anything to reassure the Pogues.

"JB, how high are they?" Scarlett asked him.

The boy shrugged. "Oh, um..." He leaned his head out through the open window, looking to the back of the van. "Uh, just above the taillight."

"So, what's that?" Scarlett questioned, looking round at the boys.

"Maybe three feet." Pope told her.

JJ nodded. "Yeah. That's three feet."

"That water can't be three feet deep." Kiara commented, looking through the window next to her.

"Then what's the problem?" John B asked.

JJ shook his head. "Not a problem. No, we're good. We're good. She'll make it." He tapped the side of the Twinkie.

"Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts." John B announced, starting up the Twinkie for a second time. "Hold on to something. We're going into hyperdrive."

"Mmm, I don't trust this will go well." Scarlett mumbled, reaching over and securing her seatbelt. "That water could be deeper then we think."

John B counted down from three, pressing hard on the gas pedal. The group began yelling over each other as the back wheels spun in the mud. "You got this! You got this!" JJ yelled as the van began to move quickly. Water flew up, hitting the sides of the Twinkie as John B sped up. "Speed is your friend. Speed is your friend, John B." JJ cried.

The Pogues began shouting over one another as they neared the end of the flooded path, spinning off at the last second. "Shit!" Scarlett exclaimed as the Twinkie came to a sudden stop, now stuck in a ditch just off the dirt path. She reached up a hand, rubbing the back of her head which had harshly hit the back of her seat.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no." John B muttered quickly, hitting his hands against the wheel.

"I think we miscalculated." Pope spoke.

"You think?" Scarlett quipped, leaning forward and resting her head in her hands, her elbows digging into her knees. As usual, just when things were starting to look up for the Pogues something else had to happen to throw them back a few steps.

"I knew I should have driven." JJ commented.

Scarlett shook her head as she unclipped her seatbelt. "No offense, JJ, but it would probably have been worse if you had." She leaned over the back of his seat, placing a quick kiss to his cheek. She pulled away, turning to open the door and hopped out into the water, which came up to just below the edge of her shorts.

One by one the Pogues climbed out the van until they were all stood by the open trunk, brainstorming how to get themselves out of the mess they were in. "Okay, maybe we can walk from here." Pope suggested.