two

"it's the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. two tribes, one island."

JOHN B parked the van just outside his house, and Scarlett pushed herself out of JJ's arms. Kiara pushed open the door and one by one the four teenagers jumped out the vehicle.

"You gonna stay a while?" John B asked Scarlett, as he walked around the front of the van.

She shook her head. "Sorry, I need to get home for Maisie."

"I thought you were picking her up from Kie's house?" Pope asked, leaning against the van.

"Change of plans." Scarlett pulled her phone out from her pocket and waved it around. "They texted that they had to drop her off at mine. Something about the restaurant." She shrugged and looked over to Kiara. "Don't think they were too happy with that, having to drive all the way out here and see my lame excuse for a father."

Kiara scoffed. "Well, they love Maisie so I doubt they minded."

John B pulled the shorter girl into a hug. "Try to sneak out later?"

Scarlett grinned, wrapping her arms around his tall frame. "Of course. I'll try to swing by once Maisie's asleep and Dad's passed out."

"He probably already is." JJ laughed, placing a hand on her shoulder. "C'mon, I'll walk you home."

"I live like five minutes away." Scarlett laughed, pulling away from John B.

"Well, it's a very dangerous five minutes."

Scarlett rolled her eyes and waved to the other two as JJ led her towards her house. "I'll see you guys later."

Once they were out of sight from the rest of the group, JJ pulled Scarlett's frame close to him, wrapping his arms around her tightly. They stayed like this for a few minutes, just enjoying the company of the other without their friends being around.

"You know, you didn't have to walk me home." Scarlett said, breaking the silence, her voice no louder than a whisper.

"What? I can't get a few minutes alone with you, where we can properly be together?"

"You can. But it makes us look like we're hiding something if you always try to be alone with me." She pointed out, resting the side of her face against his chest.

"Ah, but in this case, we're actually hiding something." JJ laughed. Scarlett shoved him slightly and he stumbled back a few steps in the marsh.

"Come on, I actually have to get home. Who knows what my dad's doing with Maisie home and me not there to protect her." She reached her hand out for his and they continued their walk back to the 'Woods' residence. Or, the 'Shithole', as Scarlett called it.

❤❤❤

Scarlett pushed open the creaky front door, which, as usual, hadn't been locked. It's like her dad was asking to be robbed- not that they had anything worth stealing anyway. She held the door open for JJ, who was behind her. 

The house was more like a really crap cabin. Everything was on one floor. There was no hallway, the front door just opened straight into the living room- where Steven Woods was passed out on the couch, bottle in hand. There were only two bedrooms. Scarlett used to have to share a bed with Maisie, but since their father started passing out in the living room, the eldest of the Woods daughters decided that Maisie would be better off sleeping in their parents' old bed. The bathroom, which was located at the back of the battered house, was tiny and the water never worked. And the kitchen was just a small area of the living room with a stove, a sink, a mini fridge and a few cupboards.