nineteen

SCARLETT WOKE up to the sun peaking out just beyond the horizon, and it wasn't long before Kiara and Sarah awoke too. The tension between the three girls had disappeared- at least, Scarlett found Sarah to be somewhat more tolerable to be around. They dressed back into the previous day's clothes and sat on the railing of the boat, waiting for the boys to pick them up in the HMS. It wasn't until the sun was further up in the sky that the boys appeared in the marsh, yelling out to them.

"Uh-oh!" Pope yelled, barely in earshot. "You forget your keys or something?"

"You need a tow?" John B added.

"Don't give them the satisfaction of thinking this worked." Kiara told the girls.

"Absolutely not." Sarah agreed.

Scarlett shook her head. "Wouldn't want to boost their ego, it's already big enough as it is."

"You gotta admit it was funny." John B said as Pope pulled the HMS up to them.

Scarlett pointed at the boys. "You're dead to me."

JJ frowned. "Aww, c'mon Red. You know you love us."

She shook her head at them, holding her fingers out so they barely touched each other. "Thin fucking ice, JJ. That's what you're on."

"John B." Kiara said.

"Uh, what's that?"

"Mastermind, huh?" Kiara quizzed.

"I'm always plannin'." The brunette boy responded. The boat pulled up next to them and the girls didn't hesitate to climb aboard.

"Some patriarchal bullshit." Kiara commented.

"Yeah, that sucked." Sarah added.

"You still love us though, right?" JJ asked, pulling Scarlett into his arms.

Scarlett scoffed, wrapping her arms around his waist. "Like I said JJ, thin fucking ice. Besides, I'm shocked to see you lasted a night without my existence."

Pope laughed. "Yeah, I'm pretty shocked at that too." JJ simply shrugged.

"Hey, you still hate me?" John B asked Sarah, a grin plastered on his face.

Sarah folded her arms over her chest. "A little. We're gonna get you back when you least expect it." She warned.

Scarlett smiled. "Yeah, so you boys better watch your backs."

"Well, I for one welcome that challenge." Pope told them.

"Me too." JJ agreed, placing a quick kiss to the top of Scarlett's head.

"So, did you guys, you know..."

"Reconcile our differences?" Kiara asked, finishing the end of Pope's question.

Sarah shook her head. "Mm-mm."

"Not even close." Kiara added.

"But, we're all willing to work together. So... it's mutual ground." Scarlett informed the boys.

John B smiled. "You know what? That's a victory."

"Yep." JJ added, messing up the top of Scarlett's hair. Her hands reached up and swatted him away from her head.

"Woogity-woogity-woogity!" Pope grinned, both him and JJ doing their own Pogue handshake.

"You know why?" JJ asked, nodding over at Sarah and Kiara. "Hydroponic."

"Don't say that." Pope groaned.

John B leaned back in the captain's seat. "All right, shut up. You guys ready to jack someone up?"