twenty nine

KIARA DROVE the Pogues to the Wreck, the four of them sitting in silence for the length of the journey. Once Kiara had parked her car under some trees round the back of the restaurant, the four headed inside. Scarlett headed straight to the kitchen, beginning to make a small selection of sandwiches for herself and her friends. Wordlessly, she carried them back out to the main floor of the restaurant, setting them down on a table in the centre of the room. No one spoke as they ate- there wasn't much to say. John B was on the run from the cops, Sarah with him. And the four of them were now also in hiding- from their families as well as the police.

Outside, the sky darkened considerably and soon the group of teens found themselves lying on various benches around the restaurant, trying to get some sleep. After some time- she wasn't sure how long- Scarlett climbed out of her make-shift bed and headed out the back door and onto the deck. As she passed JJ's jacket, she took one of his pre-rolled joints. Sitting down on one of the chairs, she pulled out her lighter, flicking it so that the flame appeared. She lifted it to the end of the joint, lighting it, and took a hit. Blowing smoke from her lips, she looked over at the marsh, her heads clouded with worries about John B and Sarah, about the gold, and most of all about her family. The sound of wood creaking startled her ever so slightly, and Scarlett spun around in her seat to see JJ leaning with his back against the wall. "You okay?" She asked him, taking another hit from the joint.

"Are you?" The blonde asked her.

Scarlett shook her head, turning back in her seat. "No." She leaned her back against the back of her chair and tilted her head towards the sky, a puff of smoke escaping her lips. "I just- I keep thinking about John B and Sarah. What if the police catch them? What if-"

"The police won't find them, okay?" JJ told her. He moved forward, pulling up a chair next to her and taking a seat. "They'll be okay. We have a plan."

Scarlett turned her head slightly, looking at JJ through a fresh cloud of smoke. "I don't know if you've noticed JJ, but lately all our plans seem to turn to shit. We always get fucked over and I'm sick of it. No one is ever on our side, we're constantly being shot at. Hell, I actually got shot." She turned her face back towards the sky, taking another hit. "Ever since my mom and Big John went missing- and, well... died, our lives have become so- messy. I just wish things were normal." She paused, taking a shaky breath. "You know, I used to dream about how my life would turn out. And now it's just- I never thought I'd be sixteen and hiding from the cops in an empty restaurant. We just never seem to have anything good. And if we do, it gets taken from us someway or another."

Not knowing what to say, JJ simply pulled the brunette into a hug. He wrapped his arms around her, moving her head so she rested against his shoulder. Gently, JJ took the joint from between her fingers. He took a hit before putting it out on the side of the chair. "It's gonna be okay, I promise Red. We're gonna be okay."

❤❤❤

Scarlett woke up the next morning to the sun shining in her eyes, her back aching from the uncomfortable way she had slept. Her fingers brushed up against fabric- the familiar smell and feel of JJ's jacket taking up her senses. Sitting up, Scarlett slipped her arms through the sleeves and pulled the fabric closer to her body. She stood up and headed through the back door, noticing the boys were awake. She walked over to them, wrapping her arms around JJ's waist and snuggling into the crook of his neck.

"He's pinched for sure, man." JJ commented. He wrapped an arm around Scarlett's shoulder as he looked out through the glass door.

Pope stepped forward, leaning through the open door. He looked out across the marsh. In the distance the three could see police cars speeding down the roads, their sirens blaring. "No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him."