forty nine

HAVING RUN all the way back to the church, solemn looks fell over the faces of the Pogues as they slowly entered the old building. For the most part, the church was how they'd left it. Except for the fact that the cushions were scattered across the floor and the cross was gone- confirming what they already knew.

"It's gone." Kiara stated, shining her torchlight around the room.

JJ ran forward, grunting as he angrily kicked one of the cushions. "Damn it! I knew I didn't hide it well enough!"

Scarlett watched sadly as Pope continued to walk through the room, making his way to the altar. "Pope, I'm so sorry." She turned to JJ, gently taking hold of his hand. "It's not your fault, J. We were saving Pope. That was the priority. We'll get it back, I'm sure." Scarlett looked around at her friends as she spoke, wishing there was a way to bring them hope of getting the cross back.

JJ started muttering to himself, dropping Scarlett's hand as he began pacing across the room. "We need a plan. We need a plan. What's the plan?" He paused, spinning round to face the others. "All right, here's what we do. We'll grab some kerosene tanks from the Chat, then we... we go to my dad's shop and grab some dynamite."

"Dynamite?!" Scarlett questioned, her face full of shock as she stared at the boy. "What the hell is this plan that you're forming? Because it sure as hell doesn't sound safe!"

"What part of all this so far has been safe?" JJ shot back, his fingers anxiously running through his hair. "I'm just trying to get us a win."

Scarlett rested her hands on her hips, tilting her had to the side as looked at the blonde. "Okay. So, what next?" She asked. "Once you have all that explosive shit, what do you plan to do?"

JJ shrugged his shoulders. "Then we drive down to Charleston and tell this lady who she's messing with! Because this is some bullshit, y'all!" He cried, looking around at the Pogues.

"Lottie's right." Sarah spoke, her arms folded across her chest. "That's not safe, and that's not gonna help."

"Well, what is, Sarah?" JJ yelled.

John B shook his head at the boy. "I'm thinking, okay? Listen to Lottie, that shits not safe. And we can't just go blow shit up, JJ."

Scarlett placed a hand on her boyfriend's shoulder. "I know you're just trying to help get the cross back. And we're grateful you've thought of something. But let's try and come up with a plan that doesn't involve us nearly dying. Okay?"

JJ nodded his head, patting her hand that was still laying on his shoulder. "Pope, I'm sorry."

The boy was silent for a moment as he rested his hands on the altar. "Denmark would've stood right here... preaching to everyone he set free. A slave, the sole survivor of the Royal Merchant, he got the gold and the cross, and he brought them both to shore and he used it to free every person who walked through those doors." He pointed to the double wooden doors behind where his friends were all standing.

Pope walked round the altar, running his fingers over the old wood. "He made a church, a family, a congregation... a home. And the Limbreys took everything from him." He stepped down from the altar, slowly walking towards his friends. "They set dogs on his wife and his kids, and when he tried to get her remains, they hung him. Well, I'm done. I'm tired of that shit. That is not how this is gonna end. We need a freaking win, guys. I'm going to get my family's cross." He walked past the Pogues, pushing open the church doors. Pausing, he looked over his shoulder at the others. "You guys coming?"

A smile worked it's way onto Scarlett's face. Pope's speech was exactly what the group needed to bring back the hope they had lost. "Pope, you know your speeches are the best in town, right?" She chuckled.