eleven

THE SOUND of the front door shutting drew Scarlett from her restless sleep. Her eyes snapped open and she pushed herself into a sitting position, holding her duvet close to her body. Her vision slowly adjusted to the darkness to see JJ no longer laying next to her. She wrapped the cover around her body and stood up, walking over to her open bedroom door, and peering into the hallway. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion as she watched the silhouette of JJ carrying boxes out of the house. "What are you doing?" She asked, her voice startling him slightly.

He stopped and placed the box on the floor before making his way over to her. "I borrowed the van from John B so we can move your stuff into Kie's place." His eyes trailed down her figure before moving back to her face. "I left you some clothes out to wear." JJ said, nodding his head in the direction of Scarlett's room.

"Are you moving me into Kie's place now?" Scarlett asked, raising an eyebrow at him. "It's like... She paused, not knowing the correct hour of the day. "What even is the time?"

JJ pulled his phone from his pocket and checked the clock, the bright screen lighting up the hallway for a brief moment before turning off. "Quarter past one." He shrugged. "According to John B, Mr. and Mrs. C are expecting you to be there in the morning and you and I both fell asleep for a while after our little... adventure." He winked at her as he walked back to the box he had left on the floor. "Now get dressed because I've got a few boxes left to pack up."

A smile graced her face as she watched him carry the box of her things outside. She stared down the empty hallway for a few moments longer before heading back into her bedroom, softly closing the door behind her. Her eyes fell on JJ's side of the bed, where he had laid out some leggings and one of his jumpers for her to wear. Her smile didn't falter as she picked up her underwear, slipping them back on before she changed into the fresh clothes.

JJ knocked softly on the door and peeked round the corner. "You ready to go, Doll?" Scarlett nodded, gathering up the last few bits that lay around her room. She walked over to the door and wrapped her arms around JJ's waist, burying her face in his chest. "Oh, I've left some paper and a couple of pens on the kitchen table in case you want to leave your dad a note." He told her. "Only if you want to, though."

Scarlett nodded, moving her head back slightly. "Thank you so much, JJ. Honestly. I don't think I could have done this without you."

"We're in this together, Doll." JJ whispered, placing a kiss on her forehead.

They pulled away and Scarlett walked over to the table. She sat down in the chair and used her phone's torch to see the paper. She picked up the pen JJ had left out for her and began thinking about what to write. After a few moments, she began writing her note to her father.

'Dear Dad,

It's been real- real bad. I'd say you did your best, but Mom taught me to always tell the truth. I've taken Maisie away from your alcoholic ass. I won't tell you where we're going, so don't try to write and don't ask about us. Go get a job or something because I won't be here to pay the rent anymore.

Sincerely, Lottie.'

She placed the pen down next to the paper, making sure to put the lid back on. Scarlett stood up from the chair, picking up her phone and switching the torch off before walking out of the house and closing the door behind her. Not looking back, she walked over to the van, climbing in the passenger seat. "Let's get the fuck out of here." She said, nodding over at JJ who started the vehicle's engine.

❤❤❤

"It feels so weird to no longer be neighbours with John B." Scarlett said, leaning her head on the window and looking out at the Figure Eight houses.