thirty four

THUNDER RUMBLED overhead as rain poured. It wasn't long before the four Pogues were completely drenched, waiting for Ward Cameron to appear. They peered over a fence, watching as a truck pulled up on the opposite side of the road. Pope pulled out an old looking camera, holding it up to his face.

"Nice camera." JJ commented. "Where'd you dig up that relic? Why don't you just use your phone?"

"Well, first of all, I like my antique electronics." Pope answered, turning to face the blonde boy. "Second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to get a close image from far away." He turned, looking back towards the car through the camera lens.

"Lord of the dorks." Kiara laughed, high-fiving Scarlett.

Scarlett chuckled. "But that's exactly why we love you, Pope." She patted him on the shoulder.

"For definitive proof of witness payoff, we're gonna need quality glass." Pope explained, referring to his camera. "There he is." He whispered, pointing ahead of them. Not far away, they could see Ward running through the rain, a bag of something wrapped in his arms.

"Yo, get down." JJ hissed, pulling Scarlett closer to him as he ducked.

Above them, thunder crashed. Scarlett moved closer to JJ's side. "And there's Gavin." Pope informed them. Through the rain they could make out the figure of Gavin, following quickly after Ward, the two men disappearing into a construction site. "Where are you going, you son of a bitch?" Pope whispered. "No, no, no, no. I'm losing him. Shit. Where's he going?"

JJ looked up, stepping back from the others for a moment. "Hold on." He moved to the end of the alley they were hiding in, whistling at his friends. "Yo! Hey. I found something. Come here." Scarlett walked over to him, the other two following behind her. They followed JJ round a corner, approaching another building. "Gotta go up top." The blonde gestured to the ladder.

Scarlett shook her head. "No. No way. I'm not climbing up there in this weather."

JJ moved to stand in front of her, resting his hands on her shoulders. "It'll be fine. Besides, this is the only way to find out what Ward's up to."

Scarlett shook her head again. "You guys can go up, that's fine with me. But I'm gonna stay down here."

"I'll give you one of my shirts." JJ said, smiling softly at her. "And I'll even cook you something later. If you want me to."

A smile worked it's way onto Scarlett's face. "I'll take your grey sweater, thank you." She leaned up on her toes, placing a kiss on his cheek. "And you don't have to cook me anything, Blondie." Scarlett stepped past him, beginning to climb up the ladder. "But some macaroni cheese would be nice." She joked, glancing down at JJ as he stepped onto the rungs below her.

"Stop flirting and hurry, you guys. We don't wanna miss anything." Kiara called up to them.

Once the four of them had made it to the roof, they rushed to the edge- making sure to stay low and as hidden as possible. Pope lifted the camera back to his face, zooming in as much as he could.

"You rolling, Pope?" JJ asked.

"Are you getting it?" Kiara added.

"Yeah." Pope answered. "Yeah, I see them."

Scarlett rested her elbows on the brick edge of the roof, trying to get a better view. "What's happening over there?" She could barely make out the two men as they entered the roof, the rain blurring her vision.

"Ward just handed Gavin something. I think it's a duffel bag." Pope relayed to the Pogues.

JJ looked across at them, before looking back at the two men. "Guys, I think this is a payoff."