fifty

"NICE WORK John B." JJ sighed. "You know these things lock from the outside, right?" Neither of the Pogues knew how much time had passed since they'd snuck into the container. To Scarlett it felt like forever, the heat was slowly getting to her and she was regretting not changing out of her cropped sweater before the adventure. Tiredly, she leant her head against JJ's shoulder, still curled up on his lap.

John B nodded, also feeling tired from the ever-growing heat. "Yeah. Okay, I was just trying to get us on the boat, JJ. I wasn't thinking that far ahead."

"Yeah, well now we're stuck in here like rats." JJ moaned.

Scarlett shook her head, tapping his shoulder with her fingers. "JJ, go easy on him. It's not totally his fault."

John B smiled at her sarcastically. "Thanks, Lottie."

"But, like, maybe we should've thought this through before we jumped in here." Scarlett added.

"It's not like there was much time to think of anything else." Luke voiced, speaking for the first time in a while. "You made a quick decision in order to try and save your friend and the really old family heirloom."

Pope nodded over to the older boy. "He's right, you know."

"It's hot." Kiara complained, shrugging her jacket off her shoulders. Scarlett looked over at her friend, wishing she could take her own sweater off. But she was just wearing a bra underneath instead of her usual bikini top and she was conscious of the fact that her step-brother was trapped in the container with herself and her friends.

"It's a death cage!" JJ continued, running his hands through the ends of Scarlett's hair.

Pope sighed. "Okay, JJ, you're not helping."

"You don't have a whole lot of room to talk right now." JJ fired back, leaning against one of the stack of crates. "You said you had a plan, but what happened to thinking ahead?"

"I find your lack of self-knowledge disturbing." Pope said. "And to repeat what Luke said a few minutes ago, we didn't exactly have the time to create a well-thought out plan."

JJ let out a sarcastic laugh as he tilted his head to look round at Pope. "Last I checked, you literally shot an oil container with the gat." He pointed out. "Remember that?" He moved Scarlett off his lap as he stood up and faced Pope. Scarlett curled her legs up to her chest as she watched Kiara jump down from another stack of crates where she had previously been sitting.

"Oh my God! Shut up. Shut up!" The brunette yelled, landing in between the two boys. "Pull it together."

Both boys sighed as Scarlett mouthed a 'thankyou' to Kiara- grateful that the girl had stopped the arguing before it got out of hand. "Let's try to find a way out of here." Pope spoke, his voice considerably quieter than it previously was.

Scarlett lifted her head slightly, looking up at John B. He'd climbed up onto one of the crates, leaning against the wall as he peered through the slits in the vent. Before she could ask him what he could see, JJ spoke up again. "Hey, Pope, how do you kill a snake?"

The boy shook his head slightly. Scarlett turned her gaze to the two, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "You go for the head." Pope answered in a whisper, his eyes falling shut out of exhaustion.

"Exactly." JJ smiled at him, an idea forming in his head. "But the head, in this instance, is the bridge. To take the bridge, we need maximum firepower. And I happen to know that there's an armoury on this ship in case of pirate attacks."

"'Pirate attacks'." Kiara repeated in a whisper, shaking her head slightly.

"Where are you going with this, J?" Scarlett asked, rolling the sleeves of her top up her arms.