four

THE COAST Guard Station was a total dead-end. Both JJ and John B had gone up to the desk to try and report the missing boat, but were brushed off by the men at the desk who were having to deal with very distressed citizens. The two boys came back to where their friends stood on the dock, looking disappointed and highly annoyed.

"So, nothing?" Scarlett asked, folding her arms over her chest.

"Nothing." JJ confirmed, shaking his head.

"Great." Scarlett huffed. "I was counting on that finder's fee to make rent this summer." She frowned.

"You'll get the money, no sweat." JJ reassured, standing behind her and wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

"Well, that went well." Pope commented, shoving his hands into the pockets of his shorts.

"So, what's the plan?" JJ asked, resting his chin on top of Scarlett's head.

"I think I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat." John B told them, holding up the motel key.

"No, there's no way we're breaking into a motel room." Scarlett protested, throwing her arms up in the air. "The guy could be dead for all we know. I'm not breaking into a dead guy's room."

"I'm with Lottie on this one." Pope said, pointing at the dark haired girl. "We don't know whose room that is. It could be anyone."

"I'm in." JJ said, taking the key and chucking it over to Kiara.

"Come on. I'll be look out." She said to Pope, following the boys back to the boat.

JJ let go from Scarlett as he walked away. "Come on, Princess. A little adventure never hurt anyone."

"This is different. This is breaking and entering." Scarlett huffed, staring at him.

"At least you two will only be accomplices." John B shrugged.

"We're so dead." Pope muttered, pulling Scarlett along behind him as he followed the others back to the HMS Pogue.

"I am not looking forward to this." Scarlett sighed.

❤❤❤

JJ whistled as the boat pulled up to the bank just outside the hotel. "I thought the Château looked bad." He commented. He stood up and moved to the bow of the boat, preparing to secure the boat to the shore.

"This place is a shitshow." John B said under his breath.

"Looks- and smells- almost as bad as home." Scarlett laughed.

"Motel or meth lab?" Kiara asked the group.

"You be the judge." Pope answered.

"It's probably both, knowing this town." Scarlett murmured, leaning her head on Kiara's shoulder.

"Doesn't look like the type of place somebody with a Grady-White stays, that's for sure." John B said.

"Mmm." Scarlett hummed. "I have to agree with you there."

"No. Looks like a place someone with a Grady-White would get killed." Pope added.

"That is one-hundred percent possible." Scarlett agreed, reaching out and high-fiving Pope.

"All right. Here we go." JJ said as the boat reached the shore. He cupped his hands over his mouth, pretending to speak into a speakerphone. "This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue comin' in for landing." He hopped off the front of the boat, tying it to the shore so they wouldn't get stranded at the motel-turned meth lab.