Part seventy-four

(Chloe's POV)

"We're here." Mom said pulling one of my earbuds out. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts I didn't even notice when we landed.

"Already?" I looked at the lowering ramp.

"Yeah. You were in your own little world." She smirked.

Stuffing my phone into my coat pocket I grabbed my bag and made my way out of the plane.

Home sweet home.

                      ———————

A few months later.

"Okay. Watch where you're aiming. Remember to shoot as you breathe out." Mom reminded me as I aimed the gun at a target.

"I still don't see the point of this. I have powers. I could bring down this entire building if I wanted." I sighed lowering the gun to look at her.

"Did Hydra teach you how to use a gun?"

"Yes. They taught me how to use everything." I glared at her.

She should know this.

"And when was the last time you used one?" I opened my mouth to answer but closed it after a second once I realized I didn't have an answer. "That's what I thought."

Groaning, I facing the target. "I still think this is a waste of time." I huffed raising the gun.

"You'll thank me one day. I promise. Now, aim, breathe, and shoot." I went to pull the trigger but mom stopped me. "Put these on. It'll muffle the sound."

I took a pair of earmuffs from her and put them on. Pulling the trigger, I felt the familiar kickback and it went off.

"Ow," I said lowering the gun. "That hurt."

"Yeah, that's what happens." Mom smiled as I took off the protective earmuffs.

"Okay. Well, I'm don't with that." I stated setting down the gun.

"That's fine. That just means that I get to kick your butt at hand-to-hand." She smirked.

"You think you can beat me?" I asked.

"No, I know I can. Why? You don't believe in me?"

"No, it's not that. It's that you're old." I crossed my arms.

"Oh! So that's how you wanna play it? Aright. Let's go than little girl." She motioned towards the mat on the floor.
"No cheating. Which means no powers. You think you can beat me? You're going to have to do it on an even playing field."

"Deal." I crossed the mat to the opposite side. We stood in fighting stances, and then she came at me.

This is going to be fun!

                      ———————

"What happened to you?" Sam asked as I walked in.

"I lost," I mumbled.

"What?"

"She thought she could be me at hand-to-hand. She nearly did, but then she lost. So she's upset." Mom set her hand on my shoulder as Sam laughed.

"It's not funny," I growled stalking off to my room.

It wasn't that I was angry per se, I was more embarrassed than anything.

Flopping onto my bed I sighed. It had been mission after mission recently. Steve was almost obsessed with catching Rumlow now.

It had been nearly two years since the collapse of Shield, and he was still out there somewhere. Every time we would go after him, somehow he would get away.