Part ninety-seven

(Chloe's POV)

"Strengthen your core! Don't let Yelena past your defense!"  Melina ordered in Russian.

"I'm trying!" I yelled at her before getting kicked in the ribs by Yelena. "Ow.." I coughed.

"I told you-"

"Strengthen my core and don't let her past! I know!" I interrupted irritated.

"Alright, why don't we take a break for a little bit. Let everybody cool off." I heard Mom suggest.

"She needs to learn Natasha." Melina rebuked her.

"And she will, but not like this. Not with you yelling at her all the time. She isn't me or Yelena." Mom defended me.

I held my side as I quietly walked toward Mom. I leaned my head on her arm but didn't say anything. "Why don't you go lay down for a while? Get some rest?" Mom offered. I nodded and left the room slowly in search of a bed.

"Tired?" Alexei asked from the table in the next room.

"What does it look like?" I snapped at him. He looked apologetic but not surprised. "I'm sorry. That was rude."

Alexei shook his head. "No apology necessary," he responded in English.

"It's been a while since I got a full night's rest. And by that, I mean like a month." I half-smiled.

"Natasha explained what happened a little bit. May I ask?"

"I made my choice, and I knew the consequences when I signed up," I replied laying down on a couch.

"Even if it meant fighting your own mother?"

"She wasn't my mom at the time, as harsh as that sounds. She was my opponent. I didn't want to fight her or any of the others but I couldn't let Steve and Bucky fight alone."

Alexei was silent so I glanced over at him. He was watching me closely as I lay on the couch. "You're staring," I told him bluntly.

"Why fight with someone you don't know?" He asked.

"I do know Steve. And I owe Bucky. And Steve." I said calmly.

"How is that?"

"Bucky's saved my life twice now. I owe him my life. If he needs help, I'm there." I sighed. "Steve saved from Hydra. He and Mom and the rest of the Avengers saved me and gave me a new life. They gave me something to fight for."

"And then you had to fight them," Alexei said softly.

"And then I had to fight them." I rubbed my eyes. "I don't regret my decision, I just...I just wish I could explain to everyone I left behind my reasoning. I betrayed a lot of them when I left, and I know some don't understand why I did what I did."

"You did what you thought was right, no one can blame you for doing what you thought was right." Alexei smiled.

If this is what it's like having a Grandfather, I like it.

"Well, I'll let you get some rest." He said getting up.

"Thank you, for the talk." I sat up to look at him.

He smiled at me softly. "Anytime," He nodded. "Get some rest. I'll tell Natasha you're sleeping." I silently thanked him and laid back down.

Laying on my side I closed my eyes in an attempt to sleep. I could hear the quiet voices of Mom and Alexei talking behind me. Slowly, the world dissolved into inky blackness and I was asleep.