Part fifteen

Ireland. January 4th, 2012
(Chloe's POV)

I sat in a chair with my eyes closed listening to the scientists talk.

"I heard he wanted to make an army out of them." One of them whispered.

"As much as I'm all for what Doctor List is doing, what he's done to the kids, I'd hate to be them." The other whispered back.

Who's Doctor List?

"The girl is his most prized possession, so make sure you don't mess this up. I do not want his wrath on me." The first one said.

"I know what I'm doing." The second one scolded.

"Ah!" I flinched away from the scientist on my right.

They were both girls.

How could the stand for something like this.

"Who's Doctor List?" I asked and they looked at me with wide eyes.

"You're supposed to be asleep." The one on my left scolded me.

"Well I'm full of disappointments." I smirked. "Now answer my question."

"Who do you think he is?" One asked.

"Doctor List is the one that's been experimenting on you this entire time." The other said.

"Now sit back. This won't hurt a bit." They lied.

                 —————————

Two hours later I walked down the hall to the room where we had to wait for our turn as I rubbed the back of my neck.

"They said to tell you that you're next." I said walking up to Zari.

She looked at me with a grimace but nodded.

"How was it today?" She asked.

"It hurt. Like it always does. But I'm alive." I said shrugging.

We were having our pain tests today.

It always hurt, but we lived through it.

The tests were to see how much pain we could handle. If you caved, you were taken away and dealt with. That's why we would always say goodbye before we left to take them. Because you never know if you'll come back.

Zari was next and after that, it was Charlotte's turn.

We just had to hope that they both came back.

We all said goodbye to Zari and watched as she walked down the hall.

After thirty minutes I watched as Zari walked towards us holding her side.

"What happened." Annie asked.

She just shook her head.

"Your turn." She motioned to Charlotte.

We each said goodbye, and good luck, then watched as she went to the impending doom.

After another thirty minutes we watched as she came back. But it wasn't Charlotte. It was one of the scientists who did the tests.

"Congratulations." She said with a smile that looked forced. "You all past."

We looked at each other knowing that 'all' didn't include Charlotte.