Part sixty-six

(Chloe's POV)

"And then I woke up." I finished.

I sat at the head of my bed picking at a pillow, while Alexis sat on a chair that I had gotten recently.

It was one of those folding saucer chairs that are fuzzy. The one I got was white. I really liked it.

Alex sighed. "Well now I can understand why you freaked out when you woke up. I would too." She confessed.

"Yeah. So...what'd you think it means?" I asked her.

"I'm confused? What does what mean?"

"My dream. I read somewhere that sometimes dreams mean something. Like it's your subconscious trying to communicate with you. Trying to tell you stuff that you don't see when you're awake." I explained and Alex nodded in understanding.

She was silent for a moment. She had her finger resting on her lips. "Well...you said that from the very beginning, Dr. Strucker, and Dr. Zerks were in your dream. Perhaps they were there as some form of guilt-trip?" She offered.

"Why would I feel guilty about them?" I snapped.

I wasn't angry, I just wanted to know why I would feel guilty.

"I don't know. Maybe you feel guilty that they never got what you thought they deserved?" She said.

Well Strucker's dead. So I guess Zerks is gonna get all of my wrath.

"Next you said that Cooper and Harley were there?" I nodded. "Well it could mean that they mean more to you then you know. That maybe it was your minds way of getting you to pick one?"

"I picked Cooper." I muttered. Either Alex didn't hear me, or did but didn't say anything.

"Your mind made you pick one, and then for some reason, the one you picked was killed. Do you know why that is?" Alex asked. I sat for a minute to think.

I did. I just didn't want to admit it.

"When I was younger, they made me do the same thing. They made me pick between two people I cared about. And they killed the one I said not to shoot." I admitted.

"And that's why they said 'you should have learned from last time', right?" I nodded.

"So then after that, you saw the body on the floor. And the girl leaning over it was you? Why was that? Who's body was it?" Alex leaned forward with her elbows on her knees.

"It was Luke's body. The girl—me—she screamed at me. Asking how I could let it happen." I told her.

"Let what happen?" Alexis asked.

"How I could let Luke die." I sighed leaning against my pillows.

"Is that what happened? Before? You had to choose between him and someone else, and he died?" I rubbed my face with my hands.

"Mmm Hmm. Yeah." I mumbled against my palms.

"Do you feel guilty about it?" I looked at he like she was insane.

"Guilty? Of course I feel guilty! He died because of me!" I exclaimed.

How could I not feel guilty?!

I heard Alex write something down before she spoke again. "After you attacked yourself, you were stuck in a glass tube. Correct?" Again I nodded.