Part one

Early morning. January 25 2015.
(Chloe's POV)

My eyes snapped open at the sound of crashing. I sat up listening for voices.

"The file said they were keeping her somewhere here." Said a voice.

It was definitely a guy.

"Well, then let's find her." Said a second voice.

This one was definitely a girl.

"I'll try this one. You try that one." Said the female voice.

I could hear rattling in the door next to mine.

"It's locked." Said the male voice.

"Here. Let me try." Said the female.

"There." She said. She must've unlocked it with a bobby-pin.

Something I had been taught by Hydra, but never used sense I was never allowed a bobby-pin myself.

"It's empty." The man stated.

"Yeah. But someone was here recently. Look at the books. There is barely any dust on them."

Annie.

"So they moved her?"

"No. It's unlikely. The girl we're looking for is at least 13. look at the clothes. They look like they're for someone at least fifteen year old"

Uh oh.

"Which probably means that she's a different room." 

"Well we already checked all the other rooms so if she's still here I would guess she's in the room at the end."

They're coming for me.

"After you." The man said politely.

I slipped my hand under my pillow and wrapped my fingers around a small knife that I had stolen.

Again, this was something I was taught, but never put to use, except for the knife of course, but there was really nothing worth stealing.

Sliding out of bed, I tiptoed over to the door and put my ear to the door to listen. The doorknob rattled. I backed away from the door and hid behind my desk.

Considering that I was Hydras test toy, they gave me a bed, a blanket, a pillow, a desk, a stack of books, a pen and paper, a dresser, three sets of clothes,

Even though they were all they were all the same.

As the door opened and light flooded in, so I became aware of the man and woman entering my room. It was then that I realized that the man and women that I had been overhearing, was Captain America and the Black Widow.

"Where is she?" Captain America asked the Black Widow.

"She's probably hiding. If the file we found is real, then Hydra practically raised her. Which probably means that they taught her that we're the bad guys." Black Widow said.

"Which means she's probably terrified and/or hates us." Captain America said with a sigh.

Black Widow nodded her head. This was my chance. My escape. My chance at freedom. It was at this moment that I was thankful for everything Hydra had taught me, including how to use a knife in multiple ways. I climbed out of my hiding spot, careful not to make any noise. Gripping the knife in my hand, I walked up behind Captain America and struck. In one swipe, the Captain's back had started to bleeding.

"Ah!" He let out a cry of pain.

The Black Widow whipped around to the face me and the Captain. I could see her take in the situation, and make calculations in her head.

"You okay Steve?" She asked.

"Yeah, Yeah I'm-I'm okay." He said with a grunt. "Just a flesh wound. I'll be alright."

The Black Widow turned to face me.

"Hey. I'm gonna need you to put the knife down now, ok?" She said in a soothing tone.

I looked down at the knife in my hand.

It's not that I was afraid of killing. I've killed before. When Hydra would test my powers, they would make me use them to kill. That's not what bothered me. What bothered me, was that, I do know who the good guys and the bad guys were.

"Look, I know you probably think that we're the bad guys, but I need you to trust me. I need you to put the knife down, ok? We want to help you, but we can't do that if you are trying to kill us." Her voice brought me out of my train of thought.

I dropped the knife, and it hit the floor with a clatter. The Black Widow started to walk towards me when I darting out of the room into the dimly lit hallway. I hesitated for a split second so I could get my bearings, and then I ran for the first door.

It was locked.

Of course it was locked. It's always locked.

I concentrated, ignoring the sound of footsteps running towards me at an alarming rate. I put my hands on the door, held my breath and phased. I was on the other side of the door when I heard the Black Widow slam her hand on the door and say,

"She's an enhanced."

She paused for a minute before continuing.

"She went through the door."

Another pause.

"Steve's currently occupied."

It was like she was having a one sided conversation, but I knew better.

She was an avenger. She probably was talking with the rest of her team.

"The kid, she had a knife. She got Steve on the back. Nothing too bad, just a flesh wound. She went into one of the test labs I think."

I pretty much stopped paying attention after that. I knew that she would have back up eventually. I had to figure a way out. And thanks to me I was now trapped.

I looked around the room I was in. She was right. It was one of the test labs. I had to figure a way out. And thanks to me I was now trapped.

The door behind me rattled. I knew where I was, unfortunately phasing through the door alone took a lot of my energy since I didn't get more the a few hours of sleep. and the few hours I did get weren't very good. Had I had more the enough good rest I would have been fine, but I was already pushing myself. I wouldn't be able to go anywhere for a minute.

I was wondering around the test lab equipment that was in the room debating whether or not I should punch to get my anger out, something when I heard something metal fall to the ground. I whipped my head around looking for something, anything.

Hawkeye. He was a spy. Excellent at hiding. Most likely the source of the noise.

I looked down at my hand, it had dark mist coming out of my palm. I reached my hand up, quickly closed it into a fist, and then pulled it down.

All the shadows in the room came towards my hand.

There he was, crouching on a railing that overlooked the room. It took me a second to figure out what was happening. And it was that second that cost me my chance at freedom, because the exact moment it took me to figure out what was happening, he released the arrow notched in his bow, aiming it straight at my head. In the few seconds that it took to get to me, I could have done so much to stop it.

But I didn't.

I was happy this was the end. I could be free from my torment that was my life. The arrow struck. It didn't pierce my head open like I thought it would, but instead a shock wave of electricity through my body knocking me out. The last thing I remember before everything went dark was someone saying,

"Sorry kiddo."