Part fifty-three

Two days later.
(Chloe's POV)

Ironically it was snowing. Not heavily, they were more like flurries, but still snowing. It was also sunny. So that was super weird.

It made my emotions run wild because I didn't know whether I should be happy or sad.

I was wearing a black dress, black boots, and a black coat. I held a bouquet of daffodils in my hands.

It was really hard to find them considering it was the middle of winter.

"It's time to say goodbye." Mom said; her hands resting on my shoulders.

We were standing in a graveyard covered in snow, about an hour from the compound.

It was actually pretty warm considering what time of year it was. Of course not warm enough to melt the snow.

They let me plan the funeral. They let me decide on everything. I think they thought that it might bring me some closure.

In truth, it just made me realize that all those kids who died while I was growing up, probably never even got a funeral. Let alone a grave.

At least not a marked one.

And to be honest that just made me feel worse. Because while I got to live they all had to die.

"Do you want to say anything?" Steve asked as I looked at the headstone in front of me.

"Jamie...he was a kind and generous person. He kept me-everyone, as safe as he could for as long as he could. And despite the fact that mom didn't like him, he was a good guy." I said sniffing, gaining a playful slap from mom along with some laughs from everyone else.

"For so long I thought he was dead. I was eight the first time I thought he died. Then I found him, he kidnapped me, I ended up putting him in the hospital, which considering the fact that he was sick, was probably good." That got some quiet laughs.

"I actually don't even know what he was sick with. The doctors just said that he was sick. Whatever was wrong with him, it messed with his heart. And after what happened, it was a miracle he survived as long as he did after being stabbed." I stopped talking or else I would have broken down right there and then.

I took a deep shaky breath as a tear rolled down my cheek and continued. "But they were wrong. What was a miracle, was all the time we got. Despite what he thought, despite what everyone thought, he got way, way more time then he thought he would." I paused blowing out a breath of air trying to calm myself down.

"Then he thought he deserved. So much more." Tears streamed down my face and I looked up at the snow falling.

That was the truth. He should have died months ago.

"Growing up...we lived from day to day. Just hope...just hoping to live 'til tomorrow." I bit my lip trying to stop myself from sobbing. "My friend Charlotte used to tell us about Heaven. I like to think that's where he is. Where they all are. Somewhere so much better then this garbage heap. That they're happy. That's all they-all we wanted. They got their happiness. And I got mine. Theirs is just different."

I wiped my face trying to get rid of the cold tears that were pouring endlessly down my face.

Most of them just froze to my cheeks.