Part forty-two

Above the Caribbean Sea.
(Chloe's POV)

"I know that you aren't happy mom. But right now I have to do this. Alright?" I said into the phone.

"Do you really think that your friend is out there? Do you really think that she's alive?" Mom asked from the other end.

"Honestly? I'm not sure what I believe." I said in a hushed tone so Jamie wouldn't hear. "I thought Jamie was dead, but he wasn't. So who knows? All I do know right now, is that Jamie needs to do this. Whether or not he's right about this, I'm gonna see this thing through. For him."

"I get that Chloe. But are you really sure about this? I get that you two have known each other but-"

"Mom. Just stop. Please." I cut her off. "The route is preprogrammed into the nav-system. We just have to not fall out. And I think I can manage that. Now would you please stop worrying?"

"Are you sure you don't-"

"Want backup? No. I have Rhodey on call in the case that I do need help. But we will be fine." I cut her off again. "Listen. I need to go. Love ya. Bye."

I hung up the phone before she could respond and walked up to the front of the jet.

"Sorry about that. Paranoid mom. Doesn't really like you much." I said to Jamie who just shrugged.

"So how much farther?" He asked.

"A few hours. You could get some sleep if you want. There's not really that much to do." I told him.

Jamie shook his head. "No thanks. I like watching the sky. I haven't been this far up in a while."

"Suit yourself. I've had a long day." I said getting comfy.

I felt like I hadn't slept in forever.

                     ———————

Believe it or not, I had never been to Brazil. Weird huh?

"Just put your bag wherever. I got something I need to do. I'll be back in a minute." I told Jaime when we got to the hotel room.

He just hummed in response. I sighed and left.

I sat downstairs in the lobby of the Hotel Atlântico Rio.

I was supposed to be meeting a friend of Rhodeys.

I pulled out my phone and saw that I had five texts, two missed calls, a voicemail, and three emails.

Wow. Someone really wanted to get in contact with me.

Two texts from Cooper, one from Harley, one from mom, and one from Rhodeys contact, Izabel Scott.

Did Rhodey give her my number?

I replied to both Cooper and Harley, but ignored moms text. She was being overprotective again.

I had two spam emails, and one from some random lady.

Weird.

I clicked on the email to look at it but never got to because a voice said, "Chloe?"

I looked up from my phone to see a woman in her late twenties standing a few feet away from me.

She had pitch black hair in a French braid, gray eyes, and hazel skin. She was beautiful.

Like really beautiful.

"I'm Izabel Scott. I'm a friend of Rhodey." She said with a accent.