Part ninety-four

Not long after.
(Chloe's POV)

Being on the run sucks. I haven't had a full night's sleep in a week, I'm exhausted, hungry, and not to mention lonely.

Why did I ever think this was a good idea?!

I love D.C., but when you're a wanted criminal it's a very hard place to get in and out of the city. The quickest way I could get out of Washington was by taxi, which meant I, unfortunately, had to mess with the driver's mind.

It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I couldn't sit in a car for three hours and not be recognized considering I was one of the most wanted kids on earth. But it worked, even though I hated doing it.

I needed to lay low for a while so things could cool down. Mom was going to pick me up in a week in Ohio, but I still had a bit before I could get there. Why Ohio? I didn't know, but mom wanted us to rendezvous there so I wasn't gonna argue.

The only good thing about staying in a hotel in a city was running water. After Germany and the Raft, and being on the run, I was in desperate need of a shower.

I have never loved a shower so much before but this one was amazing. I washed my hair at least twice and my body close to five times. By the time I was done my body was red and hurt but I finally felt clean so it was worth it.

On my way to my room, I had grabbed some stuff from the little shop that hotels have in the lobby. Toothbrush and toothpaste, a hairbrush, scissors, and some other small things I would probably need in the future. But for now, I was only focused on the scissors.

I brushed my hair through before taking the scissors in hand. I held the scissors up to my shoulders and blew out a breath. I'd never had my hair cut before in my life. I had no idea what I was doing. "This is crazy," I muttered before cutting my hair.

The hair fell into the sink and I realized what I had just done. "Crap."

Can't turn back now can I?

I chopped the rest of my hair off ago it was shoulder length and smiled at my reflection. The last time I had hair this short was when I was eight. However back then my hair had been a lighter shade of red.

Cutting my hair would only change my appearance so much, I needed to dye it. I was thinking I'd go brunette.

I always thought I'd look good with brown hair.

I grabbed a box of hair dye out of my bag and set it on the bathroom countertop. This was either going to be a mess and go terribly wrong or it could go amazing. Either way, I'll look different which is what I want.

                            ———————

5 days later. Upstate New York.

This was stupid. Incredibly stupid. Even more stupid them going to D.C., and that was pretty stupid.

But I couldn't just leave. It was my home whether I liked it or not. All my clothes, all my things, all my keepsakes and memories were here. I couldn't just leave them here forever.

The compound was secure, but I knew it like the back of my hand. I could sneak in through the back, slip past the camera and go through the walls ad by then I should be in my room. Easy peasy.

It was easy. Almost too easy.

I smiled at my room. It was exactly as I had left it. My blankets were all messed up, clothes on the floor, the stack of booksby my bed. I stepped up onto my bed and took down the pictures of me and the others.

Clint, Laura, the kids, and me and Mom; Tony, Steve, Bruce, Thor and I; Mom and I; me, Wanda, and Clint; and a lot of others that resembled these.

I had gone through a phase not that long ago where I was obsessed with cameras. I wanted to take pictures of everything. And I didn't regret it at all.

I wish I could make time go backward. Go back to when everyone was happy and no one was a wanted criminal.

Speaking of which, I was one. If I got caught I'd be sent who knows where. And that wasn't something I was a fan of doing. I couldn't be sent to another floating prison in the middle of the ocean.

Not again.

I stiffened sensing a presence behind me. "Please do not do anything rash," I heard. I didn't know whether to rejoice that it was only Vision or be scared.

I turned slowly until I was facing the Android. "Please, Vision. Please don't tell anyone I'm here. I can't be sent back to that place again. I just wanted some of my stuff." I pleaded. "I just want some stuff and them I'll be gone and it'll be like I was never here. Please."

"I'm obligated to inform Mr. Stark of any intruders." My stomach dropped suddenly. "However this is your home, after all."

I smiled slightly. "Thank you," I whispered knowing he would hear me.

Vision turned to walk out of my room but stopped short. "Wanda...is she...?"

"Hurt. Not physically, but emotionally, mentally. But she's fine aside from that. I think she misses you." I said solemnly. He nodded before leaving the room.

I knew I'd have limited time so I only grabbed a few things. The pictures off my wall, a few books, a hoodie I loved, my locket, the necklace Mom gave me when I first joined, and stuffed them in a bag in my closet.

This was my home. I didn't want to leave, but I knew I couldn't stay. I had to leave.

One week later. Ohio.

Trying to get fromNew York to Ohio was not fun. Between the mind control and the stress, it was not good for my health.

I wish I was back in New York, in the compound. I wish I was home.

Mom said she would meet me in a town called Northhaven, although I didn't really have a clue where that was. By the way people looked at me in town, they didn't recognize me, which was what I wanted. I just wished I could find Mom.

I wanted to go home. I wanted to sleep in my bed, with my things. I wanted to be back where I knew I was safe. I wanted my life back.

I sighed as I walked into a little shop. There were a few people in it, including the woman behind the counter. I avoided the cameras as bed as I could, but I knew that at least one had probably seen my face.

I was going to grab a candy bar when a blonde entered my eyesight. Her hair was shoulder length and she was tall and strong looking. I couldn't see her face, but I knew.

"Maman." I smiled and she turned around. She walked closer to me and kissed the top of my head.

"Est-ce que tu vas bien?" She asked.

"Oui. Je vais bien."  Mom nodded and we left the store. I relaxed now that I wasn't alone.

Once we were walking down the street I asked, "Why Ohio of all places?"

Mom sighed but answered regardless. "I think we need to have a talk about some stuff."

Uh oh.

I really suck at updating huh? I'm really sorry guys.

I keep meaning to work on this and the don't have any inspiration. On top of that I'm moving again(which really sucks), and I'm just having a really hard time mentally right now.

Hopefully, the next chapter won't take me like a month to get out. Let me know what you thought.