Chapter 13

With Sutton, emotions were a finicky thing. For the most part she was an all or nothing kind of girl. One who could filter out her emotions and choose what she deemed was needed to keep her strong. And it led to a very stressful experience because emotions were hard for her to understand. Sure her eyes and hair could give away what emotion was boiling up to the brim and tipping over the edge. But even then she'd grown to manager her haircolor and always remain in control. Usually it was like feeling nothing at all or just feeling everything all at once. Sutton was never good with emotions. Especially not with the extra stress building on her.

Delvin Vane was the type to wear his feelings. The boy had issues with controlling his mouth and his facial expressions. Usually if he controlled the one, the other gave it away. Much like he remained very neutral look as he called Snape a slimy cunt for the words be dared to speak towards Lily and Sutton. Delvin had never been one for restraint, and he'd be damned if he showed much when it came to his family.

Regulus was taught to always conceal how he felt if it didn't fit his parents mold. If it wasn't in their image it wasn't necessary so that building rage that stirred in his chest for a girl he's never really spoken to was simply irrelevant to him. But the urge to strangle Snape every second nagged at his brain as he tried to remain as neutral as possible. He mustn't tarnish his family's image even worse than Sirius had. He was practically irrelevant.

James was boisterous and proud. He wore his emotions with pride and sneered in the face of those who opposed him. He loved completely and deeply but hated with a poison. He was determined and a bit selfish. Maybe Sutton was right when she told him to let others be the bad guy, because the pain that twisted on Lily's face as Snape called her a mid blood tore into his gut and made him question if he was a good guy. If he would ever be the good guy in Lily's eyes. It was always about her for him.

Lily wanted to believe in the good of everyone. She wanted to ignore Severus's obsession with the dark arts and remain friends. Trying to remain ignorant to how he treated others who weren't pure blooded. He'd never been like that before and now she couldn't ignore his darkness anymore. He wasn't a good guy. He wasn't her friend anymore. And the anger she felt raged through her soul and locked itself into her heart. She couldn't imagine herself forgiving him.

All of them were impossible fools who'd all circled the question of their own mortality, ethics and beliefs. Pulling at their cores as they tried to place the emotions they were feeling. Even though Regulus and Sutton were complete dunces when it came to emotions they did know the one that was shining brightly at that moment; rage. Each one was feeling their own rage building up and getting ready to implode.

Honestly, it didn't take that long for the explosion to happen either. Snape had cornered Sutton, trying to gaslight her into ignoring the slur he called his best friend and the insult he'd slung her way. Just the sight of him had her blood pumping and heart racing. So Sutton wasn't surprised to find herself staring blankly before her in Dumbledore's office.

Even the golden liquid of beautiful happiness that danced around in her veins and painted the world in a shimmery haze couldn't help the sinking feeling in her stomach and the nausea that swam in it. The golden liquid that allowed Sutton to remain cheery even in the darkest of times. Dumbledore observed her, the blank look but the smile that never fell from her lips. Dumbledore knew everything that was going on in the school. He knew why she'd hexed Severus Snape. He'd known why she was still smiling. But much like the dark magic that was spoken in hush words and whispers, he'd turned a blind eye to that. He'd use it when the time came. Simply speaking to the emotionally stunted girl and assigning her detention, cleaning the potions room, he'd sent her on her way.

He could only hope that his plan for her would unravel the way he needed it to.