Chapter 28

Regulus stared at his plate with perfect portions of parsnips, a baked potato and a six ounce steak that was cooked medium well, his mother's preferred choice. He'd like it medium rare, which to him was the perfect way to cook a steak. But he knew better to speak out against his parents.

The room was quiet other than the scraping of metal on porcelain and the family chewing their food. Kreature, the family house elf was serving the family dutifully, his large eyes ever attentive, and poise for any whim that his Masters and Mistress may have. "Well, Regulus, how is gaining that bastard girl's trust going?" Walburga questioned stabbing a bit of her steak quite forcefully, "Considering you were so quick to defend the possible halfbreed without a true confirmation that she was pureblood."

Regulus bit back the sigh and desire to roll his eyes. "It's going well, I have her convinced that I'm actually interested in her and not having any ulterior motives. She listens and absorbs information like a sponge."

"How would she even get the idea you have feelings for her?" Orion chimed in.

"Father, the easiest way to get somebody who doesn't agree with our beliefs is to gain their trust and play on it. Manipulation is easy to those who don't recognize it." Regulus spoke, honestly he couldn't even believe the bullshit was spewing, "To be frank, she isn't unappealing to the eyes. Quite easy to become smitten with. So I used that to my advantage."

His parents hummed, seemingly satisfied with his answers. "What of her mother? Have you asked her about the bloodtraitor?" his mother was pushing hard, this dinner was quickly becoming even more insufferable than ever.

"She and her mother are in a bit of a tiff at the moment. Last I heard, she was forced to find out the truth of her blood status through Selene. And her mother was refusing any questions on the subject." Regulus answered, his shoulders were tense. His words were strained and clipped. He had made sure he left little room for speculation with his words, "I haven't heard from her since holiday has just begun. Although I can't imagine her being terribly thrilled to be home. The filthy muggle she thought to be her father works quite a bit and the bloodtraitor will be with her most of the time."

Regulus was smart with his words and could probably charm even the most manipulative person into his whims when he desired to be. He was lucky though, to have a true and pure intention with Sutton. There was a reason they were so honest with each other before break. He may have left out the little tidbit that he and Sutton were actually courting each other but at the moment his parents didn't need to know that. "Do you think if she were offered a position in his ranks that she'd join?" His mother pressed on.

"At this time?" Regulus pretended to think. He knew for a fact that Sutton would pale and possibly even vomit at the thought of joining the death eaters. "Not at the moment, the thought of being a pureblood is still fresh to her and she has yet to realize she is of a higher class than those filthy mudbloods and halfbreeds."

The words tasted bitter on his tongue. His dinner began to taste like dirt, his appetite quickly fading. But if he didn't finish his meal, his mother would screech in that dreadful voice of hers. And he couldn't determine which would be more painful, her yelling or forcing himself to eat what should've been a perfectly decent meal. He decided on eating being the lesser of the two.

Kreature watched with his young master, his wordings and mannerisms. The stiffness in his body, the slight bulge in his veins. His master wasn't enjoying the conversation with the lady of the house. With the eldest son gone all the pressure was on his young master and he didn't seem to be handling how the house elf believed he should. "There's a dinner coming up, one with the Dark Lord, we will be attending. You will get to know those in the ranks, speak with them and get on their good side. You will not mention this fiasco with the bastard until you are certain she will not besmirch our family name. Do you understand?" Walburga declared, sipping a glass of red wine.

"Of course, mother." Regulus agreed.

The dining room returned to its suffocating silence. Why did you leave me behind! Regulus's mind began to scream as he stared at what would've been his brothers spot at the table. Being in separate houses had broke part of their bond. But more and more Sirius had shut him out. Soon Sirius had began calling Potter his brother and ignoring his blood.  Regulus was slipping. His brother abandoned him. And then last year was the final straw, his brother had left him behind.

Once the dinner was cleared, Regulus was free to do what he wished. At the moment, he wanted nothing more to go upstairs and pack his belongings and leave. Just like his brother. His former brother. Sirius wasn't family anymore. He had to keep reminding himself of that. So instead, he went to his room which was so overwhelmingly Slytherin that it felt tacky even to him. The entire house built upon nobility and blood status and Slytherin values that it was stuffy. His room was a deep green, with black trim and some silver accents. Slytherin flags tacked here and there. A few Slytherin scarves and ties shrugged onto the floor near his bed. Which were an silk comforter set with silver silk sheets and pillow cases but the duvet cover was emerald green. His curtains that blocked out the city lights were deep green as well. The room was dark and depressing. Much like the rest of the house.

Sitting at his desk, he pulled out a piece of parchment and the words began to flow from him.

Dear Sutton,

How has your first day of break been? Everything alright with your mother? If you need me for anything please do not hesitate to ask. If it's not obvious I do care for you rather deeply.

My mother was pressing me about making sure I'm teaching you the "proper ways" and that you're changing your views. So I haven't been able to build the courage to tell her that we are courting. Honestly, dinner was suffocating because of her questions.

I told her what she wanted to hear, as usual. It seemed to get her to be alright with the Selene situation. I just need a little more time to get her okay with the idea of us being together. Plus we need a plan to make sure she believes me when she meets you. To believe you agree with her horrid ideology. I'm sorry that we have to do things this way. I just want you to be safe.

She's making me attend a dinner with the dark lord. I'm scared. But I cannot allow anyone other than you know. Please write back soon.

Love, RAB.