Chapter 44

Her hands shook as she felt the stares of her classmates on her, on the ring bound to her finger, her hand that rested delicately in his. His thumb rubbing soothing circles against her hand, it did nothing to calm the tremble. Her face was place into a perfected ice wall, something her mother had helped her craft so carefully once she was home from the Noble House of Black.

The pain etched into her mothers eyes was something Sutton would never forget. Nor were the words of Walburga leaving her head, she and Regulus would be married by the end of summer of their sixth year. Walburga had claimed it'd be the wedding ceremony of the century that all the pureblood families would die for and yet it was her family hosting it. The irony of the fact that all the purebloods would really be her family with how much incest was in it was seemingly lost on Walburga.

It had hit Sutton rather quickly that neither her mother or father would be allowed to attend. It broke part of her. But Emerson tried to calm her daughter and say they'd host their own private ceremony whenever the couple wished. "Holy fucking Merlin's balls! The rumors were true!" Delvin exclaimed as he appeared beside the couple, whom jumped at his sudden appearance, Sutton's hair turning ghost white.

Regulus let a smirk bloom onto his face amused by the half-bloods phrasing. "Merlin's balls? Really Del?" Sutton said her free hand clutching her chest, "you could've killed me?"

"I could kill you for not telling me yourself. Had to find out from some random hufflepuff who was thoroughly unamused by my desire to not shag her. But back to the totally wild and totally unplanned engagement, what the fuck happened." Delvin stated, rolling his eyes at Sutton's dramatics as he had categorized them.

"It wasn't planned." Regulus stated stiffly, eyeing those around them who'd begun to whisper. His face contorting into a snarl as he locked eyes with few of those whispering about the trio.

"Ooh I'm sending drama, please do tell." Delvin smirked at Regulus's tense appearance.

"I'll tell you later Del, alright too many prying ears are here." Sutton ended the discussion.

They were back at Hogwarts. It was only just the beginning of their fifth year, but for some reason it felt off. They had one year left before Walburga had deemed that they would be wed, and yet it didn't feel like the wedding would be a happy one. It didn't feel like last year, where Sutton's world was painted in vibrant shades of gold. Instead there was grey everywhere and the gold had begun to fade and the most prominent of gold still around her were walking by her side.