Chapter 41

On the day that Regulus had wished to never have come, he was busy pacing a hole in his bedroom floor. Dressed in a stiff, black button up with goblin-made silver cuff links, a pair of black slacks and polished dress shoes. The only dress wear approved in the house of Black was refined, formal wear that could only boost the image of snobbery and nobility. At least in Walburga's eyes. Quite frankly, Regulus would've loved to dress in a tank top and pair of pajama pants. But he knew how his mother would feel. He had also warned Sutton of his mother. No doubt in his mind that Sutton would look stunning.

Meanwhile, Emerson looked at her daughter dully. Sutton was thoroughly stressed and rushing about. She knew that Sutton wanted to look the part of stone-cold-pureblood-cunt for Regulus's sake. For their relationship's sake. Which is why Emerson had crawled out of hiding once again and reappeared in the magical world, going directly to get her daughter a dress fitting for the occasion. But rather than immediately tell her daughter she had her the perfect dress, she wanted to see what she'd do. Emerson frowned, she hated this for both Regulus and Sutton. This anxiety enduring, stomach turning feeling shouldn't be thrusted into them just because of their parents. Emerson sighed, she'd analyzed the fear she instilled into Regulus after he'd left, and she couldn't help but feel she needs to apologize to him. No parent should make their child's partner that nervous. And while she knew she'd apologize, she wouldn't take back the threat she made. She would in fact, kill him if she found a single wound on her daughter.

"You look bloody insane." Emerson spoke calmly to her daughter.

Sutton sighed her hair shifting between every color under the sun, her eye a pinwheel of colors. The rapid changes between having so little time that it was almost nauseating. "No offense mum, I'm meeting one of the most terrifying people according to Regulus. One of the most pretentious, stuck up bitches, according to you. And I can't find a single outfit that would make a well enough impression on her. Nor do I even know how I should make my hair or eyes appear. I just want this to go well so Regulus snd I can see each other openly." Sutton ranted.

"Good, I'm glad you got that all out there. Hopefully you're feeling a bit better now. But I have the solution you need-"

"Mum killing Mrs.Black won't solve my problem!" Sutton interrupted.

Emerson chuckled and shrugged, "I may have suggested that once or twice, but this time, my solution is a beautiful dress that cost me way more money than I want to admit. Now take a look at the damned thing before I keep it for myself."

Sutton's eyes locked onto the dress her mother had pulled from behind her. It was a tea-length black dress with black lace sleeves and a black Peter Pan collar. Descending from the collar were 3 buttons, all black. The dress was unbelievably soft, and beautiful in design. "It's perfect!" Sutton exclaimed, "but my hair and eyes. I still don't know how to wear them."

Emerson smiled and told her daughter to "put the fucking dress on and then they'd worry about her hair." Which Sutton silently complied with. The dress fit her like a glove, and seemed as if it had a corset hidden in the top of the dress. She had never felt so stunning even with her hair fluctuating between lengths and colors randomly and rapidly. Once showing her mother the dress, Sutton was given a pair of heeled ankle booties. "You said his friends always referred to you as golden eyes, so make them gold. And make your hair blonde, trust me, the world you're entering is the world I ran from."

Sutton immediately listened, her mother was right. Emerson had grown up in this situation. She knew how to dress, how to speak, which fork to use during which serving, and how purebloods must always act superior. Sutton sat on a chair in front of her mother as her mother delicately curled her hair using her wand. "Do not give her a reaction if she insults me, if she critics me in anyway. Do not react if she speaks ill of your father. Do not react if she uses slurs. She is a disgusting excuse of a witch and finds weakness in emotion. Show her none but the love you have for her son. But keep displays of affection to a minimum, it's inappropriate in front of others. Love in her eyes is meant to be closeted and just for the couple. Do not fuck in that house. I don't care if you have sex here, at Hogwarts, or anywhere else really. Just don't have sex there." Emerson had stated this all so calmly, as she pulled two locks of hair that framed her face to the back of her daughters head and braided them together.
"Perfect, and you still have five minutes before Regulus will be here. Please be safe Sutton. I love you so much."

Sutton smiled at her mom, pulling her into a hug, "I will mom, I love you too."

The two stayed in that embrace for a few more moments, cherishing the bond they had with one another, and hoping that moments like these were fleeting.

Regulus stepped out of the Mallory family fireplace, his eyes lighting up upon seeing the welcoming living room of the family's home. Sutton's heels clicking as she entered the room. A smile growing wider on her face as she saw him standing there, although he seemed sad, he looked thrilled to see her. "You look beautiful." He had whispered once she was close enough, pulling her into his chest and holding her.

He had wanted a few more moments of peace with his girlfriend before he had to hear his mothers shrill voices making comments and critics and questions. Just a few more moments before his girlfriend had to become an entirely different person to appease his family. Because no matter how much he loved her, his family wouldn't be able to look past their prejudice beliefs even if it meant them making him miserable.

And as he held her close to his chest, he promised himself he would never allow his family to take his happiness away.