Chapter 43

Sutton could barely hide her giddiness to be back in her own home, far from the freaky fucked up house of Black, even though her own fiancé was amongst them. She loved him truly, but being around Walburga was torturous, having to pretend that Sutton wouldn't have loved to see her mother come in, petrify Kreature, poison Walburga and Orion's dinner before obliviating Kreature and disappearing back to her own home.

Regulus was on the same wave length, his heart still racing from the fact he had placed that ring on Sutton's finger. Panic had surged through him the moment he was instructed to do so, although he had managed to buy time by telling his father that he had to get permission from the blood traitor first, as that was the type of man he raised him to be. Flattery, honestly it was the way to dealing with his family. And truly, he realized how insane he was to not to have agreed to Emerson the moment she'd suggested murder.

"They're making me propose." Regulus spoke panicked, his face in clear distress as he stared at Emerson whom raised an unimpressed eyebrow. "You said you planned to marry her, so why are you bloody panicking."

"The ring, it's the fucking ring. It won't ever come off her finger. It's cursed, if she betrays me in anyway it'll slowly kill her and once it's on it'll never come off." Regulus ranted, Emerson's expression never changing.

"First of all, my daughter, as much as I love her, is daft to not expect some type of backup plans by the incestuous breed that is the Black family. No offense. Second of all, she loves you so she wouldn't betray you. Ever. Loyal to a fault she is. Thirdly, if the ring starts to kill her we chop her finger off. Problem solved. You have my blessing." Emerson cut him off, she was glancing at her dirty nails, she'd been gardening when Regulus came running in.

"How are you so calm about this!" Regulus exclaimed.

"Panicking won't ever save you." Emerson deadpanned, "do you think it saved me when my family sold me off to the Notts'? Of course not. Things take time and proper planning. For now, we bide the time. So put that decent enough looking ring on my daughter's finger, smile and play nice. Then return here and we'll figure everything out."

"Can't we just kill them?" Regulus grumbled.

"We could but now it would be much messier than my earlier suggested plan. We don't want to get caught. Murder is suddenly, our last resort. Off you go now, please mummy and daddy. By us some time."

Regulus nodded, allowing his vulnerable face to disappear beneath an icy mask void of emotion. He made sure to stiffen his posture and disappeared back through the floo network. His father greeting him with a raised brow. "She agreed. Took some convincing."

His father had nodded. And patted his son's shoulder lightly before holding out a black velvet ring box. The ring inside had a large diamond with several smaller emeralds around it, the gems set to look like a rose with green leaves, the band silver and made to look like a stem with thorns. It would dig into her finger once placed on, the metal would feel as if it ripped through flesh, straight to the bone. Where it'd mold itself into her, and become part of her. There was no going back once that ring became one with her. She would be a Black.

Many girls dreamed of being proposed to, marrying their sweetheart and planning the wedding that their heart desired. The proposal that Regulus would've loved to give Sutton would have been entirely different. For one, they wouldn't have been inside his family home with his parents watching them like they were prey. And it wouldn't be with a ring that would cause Sutton physical pain. Nor would it be because his father and mother essentially desired to trap "the bloodtraitor" into the correct way of life. No matter how disgusting their lifestyle was.

Regulus would've loved to have given Sutton a romantic, private proposal. Possibly in an aviary or botanical garden. Away from prying eyes. Where he could allow himself to be vulnerable. Where he could see her eyes light up in delight instead of an uneasy shock. Preferably they'd be adults, not in school. But Regulus scarcely got what he wanted, which is why he was slightly thrilled when Sutton hadn't wavered in the slightest.

Down on one knee, in the dimly lit Noble House of Black, Regulus stared into her eyes as he held the ring out to her and asked her to marry him. Pure desperation and some barely hidden sadness in his eyes, it alerted to her that it was not planned, it was not how things were supposed to go. It was a new course of action that they must navigate, and yet, she didn't regret the moment the word 'yes' slipped from her lips. Nor did she try to stop a smile from gracing her lips as he slide the ring onto her finger.

The smile lasted seconds before the pain had set in, she gasped grasping at her hand as the ring burned. Her mask was crumbling at the mind splitting, gut wrenching pain. But she felt like it was a test and her mother told her no weakness was to be shown. They'd eat her up if she showed weakness. So with a shaky breath, Sutton managed to restore her mask. "It's beautiful, Regulus!" she stated almost sugary sweet.

She then turned her eyes to his parents, "thank you, for allowing Regulus to invite me into this family."

A/n- I wanna write a book solely about Emerson. She's just fun to write