Chapter 31

Delvin raised an eyebrow when his eyes locked onto the choker. "Lover boy went all out, I see." His voice was taunting.

"It was sweet of him, and I felt bad I couldn't get him more." Sutton's eyes had downcasted at this, she wasn't poor by any means. Her father had made quite a good living, they lived modestly and their mother tended to grow their food for them just to take expenses down even more. But her mother also had stolen a large chunk of money from her family, hell she'd even inherited some from her deceased former fiancé who had naively put her in his will before their wedding because of their child. It was safe for Sutton to assume that she got her brains from Emerson.

Meanwhile, in Regulus's compartment it was all a tense silence again. And much to his dismay Selene was with them, she was probably the only one who agreed with Regulus about the dark lord in their compartment. That he was a murderer and they didn't want to serve him. But with little to no choice, and seeing as Regulus had been dropping hints to his family that he was interested in Sutton as more than a project the entire holiday, he wasn't in much of a position to argue with them. He'd been trying to avoid getting cruicoed for speaking out of turn. Selene, considering she wasn't what most considered congenitally pretty and had her own nature to her, she didn't have much ground to stand on within her own family. Both were dreading the coming years.

But at least he could allow himself to drift away into a world where he and Sutton had their own peace and there weren't any immediate threats amongst them. In his own little world, him and Sutton had their own little cottage in the English countryside, far from the city and under the protection of many wards to keep any muggles or wizards alike away. One where they could raise their children together learning about muggle herbs and vegetables and fruits as well as magical plants. Where they could be themselves and Sutton wouldn't have to tightly control her emotions to keep from changing color. One where he could keep his girlfriend happy and clean. He knew as well as Delvin she wasn't healthy, that she was an addict. But to see her smile was with the world to him.

And she seemed to slow down on taking the elixir before the holidays. But he hadnt known about the thirty vials that Delvin supplied her. He didn't know she drank about two a day. And yes while at Hogwarts and being comforted in his arms with gentle words and kisses, she did better. She truly did try to space it out more. But the holiday had been a down fall for her.

It'd been nothing short of depressing for Regulus and world shaking for the two of them. Both on opposite sides of the spectrum. One learning about a murderer and the other being told they were to be a murderer.

Regulus had made some disastrous excuse, grabbing his uniform and leaving their compartment before going to get dressed in his robes. Honestly he hated the silence. He wanted to escape it even if for the briefest of moments. And he knew what he was doing was risky, that it was something that he was clearly instructed not to do. He went to find his girlfriend.

Her hands were shaking and she was jittery. She was purposely avoiding drinking the last of the elixirs. The day she'd drank three vials, she'd finally realized how reliant she'd been on them. Not that she'd ever admit it to anyone else. But she was trying to cut back. Not completely give up the potions, they made her feel too fucking good to even consider fully giving them up. But controlling the urge rather than immediately giving in.

She'd begun to twirl one of the stars on her choker when the compartment door slid open and as quickly as it opened, it had shut. Her boyfriend stood there, look particularly nervous but also relieved. His eyes seemed lighter in her presences. The sadness was still there. No matter when she was around, depression didn't go away just because others were there. It just became  slightly less overwhelming. She had shot out from her seat and threw her arms around him. Practically humming in delight as he pulled her tightly to him.

Delvin quietly excused himself and charmed the door so nobody could see inside. Regulus pressed his lips to Sutton's head, burying his face into her hair, pulling her tighter to him than before. He needed the comfort. And she was more than willing to allow him any amount of comfort her needed.