Chapter 40

"I want to meet her!" she screamed at him, her voice like nails on a chalkboard.

He didn't since, nor bat an eyelash. Instead he pushed down the bile that rose up his throat from his stomach, and let his mother continue to rant and rave as he forced himself to imagine the light green shade of Sutton's room, the smell of homegrown flowers that flowed in from their garden. It was hard to do, especially surrounded in a place that smelled of dust (no matter how often the house elf cleaned) and it's dark atmosphere that could depress even the happiest of naive people. The fact his mother found herself having to speak six octaves above a rational inside voice, was almost completely unbearable and made this house a fucking nightmare. One that even Johannes Cabal* wouldn't survive.

He began to focus in on his mother's words, because even the thought of being with his girlfriend could bring a stupid smile to his face, and smiling as his mother yelled was an irrational thought. "You have been there most of the summer! Disappearing every chance you get, you've skipped several important dinners for this, this, this girl!" His mother hissed, apparently not trying to start a war with him as his eyes had darken the moment the first 'this' escaped from her poisonous lips.

"Fine, I shall ask her when she is available to meet you." Regulus stated with no tone, his voice empty of emotion and eyes dull. Obedience that was beaten into him from a young age. One that became an important survival tactic now that he was older.

He waited for her to dismiss him instead, she stared him down as if he were her prey, and for the millionth time, he wondered if this is what Sirius felt like every time his mother casted a look over him. She was scrutinizing every aspect of him, and he knew it. Was she seeing Sirius in him, the boy he was always just a shadow of. Did they see the anger festering beneath the surface. The fear ready to burst from every joint in his body. The will to survive exuding from his soul. Cause if they had, they'd do whatever they could to snuff it out. Just as he and Sutton had snuffed out his friends ability to rat them out.

"Tell me, what is she like?" His mother finally spoke, "what made her so special to you."

"Everything."

Johannes Cabal is a reference to Johannes Cabal the Necromancer written by Johnathan L. Howard and it's a fantastic read. It's been heavily inspiring me to write.

A/n: sorry for the short chapter. But it's just a filler and helps set in motion the next few chapters. Im trying to find a way to encompass all of my ideas into this without making the story overly long or making the chapters extremely short. I'm trying my best.