Chapter 20

The quidditch match between hufflepuff and gryffindor went exactly as Sutton expected, with Hufflepuffs' loss and a win for the gryffindors. The hufflepuffs didn't really mind, as they used the party as an excuse to "boost morale" as Amos had told Sutton.

Said girl was enjoying it though, dancing to some muggle music, a Styx record, that one of the older muggleborn hufflepuffs had managed to charm to play. It was rather comforting, an almost nostalgic feeling of home. Everything was golden, the music flowing around her. Dancing with Delvin as laughter exploded between the two Ravenclaws. Both dressed in their casual clothing like the type that they'd wear when they went into town during the summer. Sutton was wearing a black dress with a single white stripe that shot down from the left shoulder to the hem of the skirt. The skirt part of the dress reached the middle of her thighs. She had a pair of black mesh stockings and a pair of Oxford loafers that had a 2" heels on. She felt pretty and the feeling flooding through her made life feel spectacular. Delvin was spinning her around and around, laughter belting out of them. He was wearing a pair of blue jeans, cuffed at the bottom and clearly tailored to fit his form beautifully, as well as a black v neck shirt and a flannel shirt opened up. A perfectly normal out for him and yet he didn't seem to realize the eyes that were locked on him.

Sure, the Gryffindors weren't there, but nobody could expect them to be. And a good portion of the Ravenclaws weren't present, much to Delvin and Sutton's delight. They were either studying or at the Gryffindor party. The smell of marijuana floated through the room, along with the smell of alcohol and other flowers. The loyalest house, always had the best parties in Sutton's opinion. Plus the house of the loyal was just that; loyal. And when push came to shove they'd cover your ass if you meant something to them.

Regulus and his small group of friends, plus Selene, whom was dragged their by her twin had come. Their eyes wide in shock at the blatant disregard for any type of traditions or values. Sure, Slytherin could party and get drunk. But the marijuana and small bottles of elixirs and potions being passed about was shocking to them. It was new. And new was scary. Especially to the boy who'd never been one to step a toe out of line in fear of upsetting his parents. But the temptation of keeping his word to Sutton overpowered him. Being the leader of a small group of rude bastards meant that where he went, they did. And he felt overly dressed. Wearing a pair of black slacks and a crisp white collar shirt, and a pair of shiny black loafers, he felt out of place for the first time. His friends, all felt the same, their lips pursed tightly as their eyes darted around the room. But his stopped the moment he saw her. The way she tilted her head back and allowed her chime like laugh explode from within her. He watched how joyful and carefree she was, and then her eyes locked his.

The sadness was still there. And within they seemed so lonely. She just wanted him to feel as free as she did. Delvin grabbed her hips and yanked her to him. "Want me to distract the gang while you try to peer pressure your precious Black into Euphoria?" He had whispered in her ears. His eyes locked onto Regulus, who's jaw had clenched at the action. Regulus matched Delvin's stare. Jaw clenched and fists pockets hiding how white his knuckles had turned. He watched as Sutton said something and the boy chuckle before he released her and disappeared for a moment.

A pureblood girl one from Hufflepuff, Natalie Macmillan walked over to the group, a bunch of drinks in hand. She was part Veela and definitely easy on the eyes. With her crisp blonde hair and blue eyes. She simply handed them drinks and asked the Rosier boy to dance, luring him away with ease. Amos Diggory, smelling of spliff and a bit of alcohol walked by, slightly stagger as he bantered with one of his housemates and "accidentally" spilling some of his drink on Selene. His over-exaggerated slurs of an apology seemed to put her off enough to demand either Avery or Regulus take her back to Slytherin. She had seen more than enough. Sure enough, Avery volunteered and patted Regulus on the back wishing him well.

But yet Regulus stood still. Rooted to his spot as he watched Sutton dance by herself, as if nobody was watch. Delvin rolled his eyes, snatching a joint from a passerbyer and put it to his lips, taking a deep breath and holding it for a few moments. Once his lungs started to burn he released his breath and began to move towards Regulus. Inhaling and exhaling the weed the entire way. He needed to be slightly more high to deal with his best friends crush. "Are ya gonna stand there all night and stare at the lass or you gonna go talk to 'er. Cause I didn't do all that work to get your friends away from you, just for you to not talk to 'er." Delvin deadpanned with his accent slipping through.

Delvin and Sutton had mastered the art code switching when they were younger out of sheer boredom. Usually they'd speak with an pristine British accent, taking the time to annunciate each word. But seeing as the Mallory family lived in Ireland and Delvin's immediate family lived nearby the both had an Irish accent. One that found fun to let loose when others weren't expecting because of the typical accent they used. Or every now and again they'd use a Scottish accent. It was just an odd thing the pair did to amuse themselves. Must've been the drugs. 

Delvin had snuck up on Regulus who had jumped slightly at the boys words. "What do you mean?" Regulus questioned.

"Go talk to 'er you bloody fool. Before your friends notice." Delvin hissed, shoving him forward.

Regulus spluttered, but did as he said. Forcing himself to look as confident as possible. Even if he didn't feel it, he made sure he looked it. Grabbing one of her hands he spun her into him. "Well, this is quite the party, Mallory. Not what I was expecting." He smirked.

"Oh please! This is nothing, just wait it gets better. But you'd have to loosen up for that." she grinned back at him.

"Is that so?" Regulus asked as he began to move along with Sutton to the beat of "You Need Love" twirling her about. "How do you suggest I 'loosen up' as you put it."

With one hand, Sutton gestured around the room as she spun into him. "Take your pick! There's plenty of spliff and potions. But my personal favorite is Euphoria." she practically whispered as she was pressed closer to him.

He chuckled, "Sounds like you're a bit of an expert."

"I like to enjoy the parties I attend, even if they're shit. C'mon, just one with me?" She pouted slightly, pushing out her tinted red lower lips.

Regulus's eyes glided over the room, taking a deep breath trying to ignore the putrid smell of marijuana. Before exhaling, "Just one."

There was nothing quite like it. The moment he was holding the tiny bottle filled with a yellow potion and the next him and the girl who he had a fleeting crush on for years was dancing together, lips almost meeting several times as they did so. Hearts seemingly beating in sync and he could almost swear he could see the music around him. "So what was it you had me try again?" He asked her.

"Don't think too much about it! We can talk later, let's just enjoy this." She tried to deter the conversation.

"Fine, then how come you've never been this bold before?" He asked pulling her back into him, practically grinding against her without the intention of doing so.

"Maybe cause I wanted be able to be seen speaking to you without being hexed. Plus, not many will remember tonight." she giggled, feeling his breath on her neck.

"Will I remember tonight?" He pressed.

"Of course! I promised a good time. Nothing that would completely fuck you up." Sutton gapped, she was offended, "do you think that little of me?"

Regulus's icy eyes widened, the gold haze flickering around him. "Not at all! I just, I've never done anything like that. Maybe a few glasses of wine and whiskey here or there but-"

"I get it! You're a stiff!" She giggled at him, his flustered state entertaining her.

"I am not!" Regulus denied.

"Prove it!" Sutton pushed.

His eyes dilated, his heart racing in his chest, the blood racing in his ears as he spun her and pressed his lips to hers. Her lips moving against his softly and almost feather-like. Like they were barely kissing. The party had been raging on around them.  Bringing a glass full of firewhiskey to his lips, Delvin slammed the drink back. His eyes locking onto a completely hammered Rosier. And then dancing around the room that still emitted the faintest of golds to him. "They fucking owe me." Watching as Regulus boldened and pressed Sutton further into him, "They owe me so bloody much. I'm entirely too sober for this."