Chapter 33

Her breath was caught in her throat, golden eyes shot wide, her skin somehow turning even paler than before and her hands began to tremble as she held his face in her palms. His icy blue eyes were wide and his jaw slightly dropped, he blinked, once, twice, three times. She was staring into his eyes so deeply she could see the words twisting around in his brain and the logical side of him, the one controlled by fear, telling him to run. But that other side of him; the one who craved to have their skin ignite in blooms of red and gold and wear the mark of bravery his brother did was screaming at him to do literally anything but stand still. And as the seconds blinked into minutes her heart began to race and shake and her mind filled with doubts. But the his hands grabbed her face and he brought her lips to his.

It was messy and teeth gnashingly impulsive as he poured every word inside his head into his lips and hope with the intensity and desperation within it they'd be understood and held carefully to her chest because she now held his heart in her hand, she was the only one he would truly ever bare his soul to. Her mind blanked and she allowed herself to melt into the desperate kiss, one that screamed I love you even when words couldn't. His soft, slightly chapped lips pressing against hers and moving with hers as if they were involved in some kind of dance. His tongue flicked out and rubbed against her bottom lip, asking for a permission that she didn't ever think was needed. She didn't hesitate, allowing him to explore her mouth for a few moments before a battle of dominance began. She could taste his peppermint toothpaste and he could taste the sweet butterscotch tea her mother had gifted her over the holiday. It was odd, kissing like this was new to them and yet if felt so normal and familiar as if they were meant to be. Merlin they hoped they were meant to be.

That there intense love wouldn't sodden within the blazes of war and the embers of their love wouldn't burn out but instead erupt in a blaze of glory as they watched the world around them burn. She smelt of honey and cinnamon, so sweet and intoxicating he allowed himself to get lost in her lips and the way her body felt pressed against his, even through their clothes he could feel how warm her skin was. And every part of him begged for that freedom to truly touch her but all the same, they were just kids.

Pulling away for air, both their faces were tinted red, their lips swollen and glazed with each other's saliva. Eyes dilated and gasping breaths. Finally he could feel the words forming in his chest and up into his throat snd escaping through his lips in a breathless whisper, "I love you," finally came free.

For some reason Sutton felt like crying. She didn't know why, or how she'd become so emotional, but she knew she was happy, she was thrilled to be precise. It was the first of time they'd said that, and she felt it wholeheartedly in her hummingbird heart beat. The blood racing in her ears so loud she swore he could hear it. And he could only it was his own heart matching her heartbeat in an erratic pace. She loved him. She truly loved him. The boy most had claimed was too cold, too unemotional and too well controlled. The boy only known for his brothers name. His brothers betrayal to the Black family name. But she didn't see past that. She took a sledgehammer to the wall built over years and saw what was inside. A broken person whom only seemed to fit hers like a mirror.

He grabbed her hands and entwined her fingers, "I swear I'll love you til my final breath."

Her eyes widened and she couldn't help herself at how intense and deep his voice had suddenly seemed and the words the broke free from her lips, had tasted all to sweet on her tongue, "I swear I'll love you always."

And as if fate were laughing at them, a golden band seemingly wrapped around their wrists. Binding them to their words in a most dangerous and unbreakable way.

He moved silently through the castle, his face pale with the recognition of what he had just done. He'd done it for his best friend, and standing in front of gryffindor toward with a slightly green tint, he pulled off the invisibility cape. "Did whatcha needed to?" James asked him.

"Yeah." He'd answered, his gut still wrenching in tightly bound coils.

"You never said what you were doing." James Potter pressed.

"Don't need to, let me know when you're ready to cash in the favor." he muttered his reply quickly wanting to go back to his own dorm without getting caught.

"Vane!" James exclaimed.

Delvin found himself tensing as he had turned to face James once more, his chocolate brown eyes seemed concerned as they locked with Delvin's steely grey. "I hope you won't regret it."

And even with everything in his chest screaming his fear for his best friend, he smiled sadly, "I know I won't."