Chapter 27

Sutton stared at her mother in shock, she'd thought it'd take her mother days of pestering to spill everything from her lips about this asshole named Moue Nott, instead her mom told her the instant they were home and her husband was at work. "You used an unforgivable curse on dad?" Sutton screamed.

Emerson took a moment. Opening and closing her mouth as she stared at her daughter in disbelief. "I mean is that really the worst thing I just told you. Cause uh hello? I murdered your biological father, not even out of impulse. I planned his death. And the only thing you're concerned with is that I used an unforgivable. Got it."

Emerson chuckled and shook her head, causing her colored brown hair to whip about. A way for her to disappear into the muggle crowd. Sutton stared blankly at her mom as if the words didn't even hit her. "Mum! You know unforgivable curses can send you to Azkaban! How could you risk that?"

Emerson pursed her lips and sighed. It was an exasperated sigh, almost disappointed sounding, "So could murder but I did that too."

Silence filled the room after her casual statement. And after a few brief moments laughter exploded from both of them. An awkward air settling in, "you didn't really murder Moue did you?" Sutton chuckled.

"Oh no, I most definitely did." Emerson deadpanned before giggling, "it was the only way out."

Sutton's eyes widened, and she seemingly froze as if the sentence her mom had repeated finally sunk in. Her mum murdered her biological father and she's kinda just laughing about it. Like that was totally normal. "Mum why are you laughing this is serious! What happens if you get caught?" Sutton exclaimed, fear burning through her.

"It's been fourteen years, almost fifteen years. If they figure it out now, hmm, I think I'd have to congratulate them for not being as idiotic as I assumed they were." Emerson shrugged, "and then I'd probably kill myself for allowing these morons to find me."

"Don't you mean for finding you?" Sutton questioned.

"I meant what I said. For allowing them. That's the only way they'd figure it out."

Sutton stared at her mum in pure disbelief. This was the woman who raised her, who cried when she seen a spider. Who freaked out when the family cat brought a mouse into the house. And yet, she can sit in front of her daughter and rationally explain that she murdered her former fiancé and what made her go with that decision. Her mother rolled her sleeve up, showing her scar. Even fourteen years later, the word Bloodtraitor showed prominently against her skin, the letters thick and pink. Rigid against smooth. Tarnishing the image of her mother's perfect skin. But now she understood why her mother refused to speak about her family. "Thankfully, my family has never come looking for me, for us. We got away from that lifestyle, and no matter what you may think of me for lying about Alistair being your biological father, he's the best father you could've ever had. And I don't regret escaping to a brighter future for us. Thankfully you'll never have to worry about the toujours pur lifestyle." Emerson ranted.

"About that." Sutton spoke up in the middle of her mum's rant, making her mum's eyes narrow at her.

"About what?" Her mother practically hissed at her, all the light joking feeling had been sucked out of the room.

"I may be dating someone." Sutton said carefully. She knew she was about to set a bomb off.

"Oh! You and Delvin are finally together! Thank goodness, his mother and I were so very worried." Emerson breathed out, her face relaxing.

"Delvin? No!" Sutton nearly shrieked, "I'm dating Regulus Black."

With those words her mother stiffened, and then collapsed. Her eyes rolling back into her head body hitting the floor. Sutton sighed and settled down into the couch, sinking deep into it. "That was dramatic."