Chapter 45

"Well you're fucked."

Delvin stared at the couple blankly, his eyebrow arched in almost disbelief as he slow clapped for them. Sutton's face matched Delvin's an unimpressed, slightly judgmental, and somehow even the slightest bit blank. Regulus looked between the two, "That's it? That's all you have to say? My bloody parents are forcing us to get mar-they forced me to use a cursed ring to propose and that's all you say? We're fucked?"

Delvin shrugged his shoulders, putting his hands behind his back to support his weight as he leaned back slightly. "Not much else to say. If you want I can try saying it in a different language but I'm awfully shit at those."

Sutton sighed, "Delvin, I love you but if you keep joking Regulus might implode."

He looked more anxious than he was sure he'd ever been. Not even during the times his mother had tortured him and his brother did he ever show this much emotion. "How are you two so bloody calm?" Regulus practically screamed.

"Can't change the past." Sutton shrugged.

"Bet you regret putting a ring on her now. You're stuck with me. Her and I are a package deal. That means twice the stupidity and lack of planning." Delvin grinned watching Regulus pace the room.

Sutton smacked Delvin's shoulder, his eyes narrowing on her as he mouthed "what the fuck?" In return she gestured to her rapidly pacing fiancé, "you did that!" She mouthed back. "I would never. But you will at some point." Delvin mouthed in response, grinning smugly when Sutton stopped talking and turned bright red.

Delvin turned his attention back to Regulus who only seemed to have picked up speed as he paced. "Mate, I quite like that carpet, so if you could I'd appreciate it if you'd stop pacing."

"You're too fucking calm! They're plotting something. Much like them planning for me to be a death eater, they're planning something for Sutton." Regulus exclaimed thankful that Delvin had put a silencing spell on his room (and that his roommates were entirely perverted to think that the three of them would be engaging in a rendezvous- as if Regulus would share Sutton with anyone) "but I can't figure it out."

"All plans fall apart in time. You just gotta wait this shit out man, stressing about it won't fix anything. They've only thought out a singular plan. We'll come up with multiple ways to screw theirs up. I'm sure Mama Emerson could fuck them up, she's pretty good at destroy pureblood plans." Delvin shrugged.

The air in the room felt thick and sickening. The quiet was deafening. Sutton grabbed Regulus's wrist and pulled him to the bed to sit beside her. He allowed himself to be dragged next to her so she curl into his side, seeking to either be comforted or offer comfort. Either way he was glad to oblige, at least having her by his side felt right. It was a securing feeling, and amongst the storm that was his mind, it anchored him to reality. "So plan A, is to follow what your parents want but somehow sneak ideas to the good side of all this. If there is a good side to speak to." Delvin declared, as if it weren't a fairly obvious idea.

"That's your great idea?" Regulus asked incredulously.

"It's better than my mums." Sutton stated with a shrug.

"What was Mama Emerson's plan?" Delvin questioned, quirking his eyebrow.

"Kill my parents and pretend it was an attack." Regulus stated dully.

His already pale skin became somewhat green tinged, he didn't want to kill anyone. Although, the idea had crossed his mind when he was given the cursed ring. But now it left a bitter taste on his tongue and the half-assed murder plan made the bile rise up his throat. Delvin smirked at the clammy looking boy, "That could work for plan D."

A small chuckle escaped Regulus at the dark humor backed comment. "What's plan B?" Sutton asked.

The silence enveloped over them again. Heavy and harsh, the truth was they were just kids who shouldn't have to be thinking the way they were and they all knew it. But life wasn't always fair, and in this instance it was sharp and cruel.  "A lot of the dragon reserves in the wizarding world don't care if you're a graduate or not. They just need people willing to help take care and protect their species. At least I remember reading that in one of those many books you have, Sutton." Delvin stated, his eyes glossing over slightly with tears, "worst comes to worst, you run and hide in them. You get as far from here as possible."

Sutton's heart broke as her friend spoke those words. "Maybe the war will end soon, and none of this will matter."

"Maybe."