Chapter 1

Sutton Mallory was a gifted halfblood. With her ability to change her looks she knew how to blend into the crowd. It allowed her to observe everyone around her. And somehow her eyes always ended up drifting to him. They shared a few classes, not many though. Regulus Black. Something drew her in. There was a darkness there, shrouding the boy in it, but there was a light to him. He was one of the few in his group that didn't sneer at every muggleborn and spit their stupid slur. He rarely spoke for that matter. And usually when he did it was to answer the professor.

Sutton had noticed since she was a first year, along side Regulus Black how strange he was. His posture always stiff and tense. His blue eyes were supposed to always be blank but she noticed a sadness in them. Bleak, blue, blank eyes. Sullen, sickly skin. He was quick and skilled. Hell, Sutton had learned things from watching him. The way he'd flourish his wand with certain spells and his stance when the ever so shifty dueling club would meet.

But she'd always seem to disappear before he could notice her. And boy had he tried. "She's staring again." Rosier hissed in Regulus's ear.

Regulus hummed and barely moved his head to look in her direction. His friends didn't enjoy that a halfblood dare look at him. But they always seemed to describe a different girl. The only feature that never changed was "her amber eyes" but whenever he let his eyes wander to find hers, he didn't see any amber eyes.

Sutton slumped down in her chair slightly, hoping he hadn't noticed the shift in her appearance. Her hair was shifted to look brown and her eyes a deep blue. Normally, she had amber eyes. It was something she'd done since she was born. Pulling her lips in between her teeth, she scratched down the runes that the teacher had drawn and was barely touching base on. "Class dismissed. Mr.Black please stay back a moment." the professor called out.

Sutton smiled to herself and slipped out of the room. Slipping into a crowd of her fellow Ravenclaws and releasing her focus on looks. Pale skin with golden freckles coating her nose and cheeks, a few scattered onto her brow. Long, curly hair that she gracefully turned blue and let her eyes slip away into a lovely honey color. "Mallory!" a sharp, deep voice called down the hall.

Shifting her blue hair to black she spun and locked eyes with her best friend Devlin Vane. He had black hair and grey eyes with cheekbones that could cut someone. His jawline sharp and accentuates his already gorgeous features. She raised a perfectly arched brow and waited for him to saunter over. "Thought you liked to blend in?" He chuckled, tossing an arm over her shoulders.

"Typically, yes." Sutton answered shortly.

"Are you actually going to talk to someone other than me this year? Cause that Diggory guy whom you always whisper with is graduating this year. Also how did a lowly fourth year befriend someone three years older than us?" Devlin rambled.

A small smile broke onto Sutton's lips, "You heard our mothers right? That's why I'm forcing myself out of the shadows."

"What'd they say this time?" Devlin groaned.

Usually when Agatha Vane and Emerson Mallory got together nothing good came out of it for the teens. "Mother proposed the idea of an arranged marriage. Ya know the exact thing she spat in the face of when she married my father." Sutton spat.

"Ah yes, the famous Greengrass family debacle." Devlin chuckled.

Sutton roller her eyes and turned pink as she saw a pair of icy blue on staring directly into hers. Regulus smirked as he finally locked eyes on the ever elusive amber ones. She was cute, was one of his first thoughts. But he knew better than to have at a halfblood. If his family knew than he'd be dead by the end of the year. "Guys, what's the amber eyes girls name?" Regulus questioned.

"Mallory? That's what the other halfbreed calls her." Rosier snipped.

"I wouldn't call her a half breed just yet." Selene Avery grinned, walking over to her twin brother, Regulus and Rosier.

"Why's that, sister?"

"Didn't you ever listen to mother's stories?" Selene frowned, "Shes the daughter of Emerson Greengrass. And yes she carries the mudblood name Mallory, but from what mother said, Emerson was already pregnant when she had started dating the mudblood."

"So she's a pureblood?" Rosier questioned.

Selene shrugged. "Not sure, there's a few ways to find out but I don't think she's worth our time. There's always the chance she's a halfbreed."

Selene was one of the smarter slytherins that was in Regulus's class. Though her family didn't view her a prize or even think she could function as a trophy wife, she was good to have intellectual conversations with. She was tall, standing at 6'ft and was scrawny with nearly no curves. Her face was sharp and her nose pointed. Her teeth were still slightly crooked. She had radiant blonde hair and grey eyes. Which is where her family thought her value was weakened, she wasn't attractive in their opinion. Nor in Regulus's parents' opinion. Although, Regulus couldn't say he hated the idea of being married to her. But that was definitely off the table, his parents had deemed her unworthy of him.

"Who would her father be if not the muggle?" Regulus asked.

"Hmm, I think mother said that it was a Nott. I can always ask her in a letter." Selene pursed her lips.

Regulus was never interested in others that weren't immediately directed into his life. Selene knew this and she knew that he never strayed from the path his parents set. So why was he so interested. "They're just rumors though. Don't get your hopes up. Or let it slip until we know for sure." She finished and then made her way to leave.