Chapter 42

"Honestly, when your mother suggests murder, we should listen to her." Regulus grumbled as he and Sutton lay on his bed with the door cracked open. Much to his annoyance.

When they had arrived Walburga spent about twenty minutes just staring at Sutton with vulture like eyes. Chipping away at her piece by piece without saying a word. Walburga looked as if she were sucking on a lemon, distaste clear on her face. But Sutton kept her face calm and eyes neutral. Her lips kept flat, almost pursed in order to not sneer at the pureblood maniac. Regulus felt like Sutton had when he had met her mother. His eyes kept darting between the women. Walburga looked Sutton up and down. "So your the bloodtraitor my son has been devoting entirely too much time to." Walburga stated, "You're pretty but I don't see what he does."

"I do not suppose you would consider we just met." Sutton spoke evenly, "although I would like to thank you for allowing me into your home Mrs.Black, it's lovely."

She was fucking lying. The house was disturbing and anyone with a brain could see that. But it flattered Walburga, the smallest of grins bloomed proudly on her wrinkled face. "Of course, only the best is allowed to remain in the noble house of Black." It was a smug statement that could've been taken as a dig to the wrong person. Instead Sutton bobbed her head, her face remaining void of any emotion. "You clean up well. Now, I have some questions and you will do well to answer them." Walburga had an air of authority as if having the men around her cower to her whims for so long had blown up her ego.

Sutton nodded again. She had the feeling her neck would hurt by the time she left, she thought. "First of all, what is your blood status?" Walburga eyed her, her face almost already hinting at her disgust for anything less than pure.

"Pureblood. My mother is a filthy bloodtraitor, and my father, Merlin rest his soul, is a pureblood Moue Nott." Sutton managed to not cringe or show any sign of her inner distress while speaking, it was a miracle in itself.

"You consider your mother a bloodtraitor?" Walburga pressed, Regulus and Emerson had both prepped her for this. Hell, Emerson herself had warned her she had to be as vile as she could. Pretend that Sutton hated her own mother as much as Sutton hated most prejudice people.

"Of course I do! She is one! Lying to me saying that, that horrid muggle is my father, forcing me to live amongst them and not my own kind. What part of that doesn't scream that she's a blood traitor!" Emerson would be proud of her performance. Sutton was doing well. But she knew her heart was breaking in her chest with each word against her parent, they tasted foul on her tongue.

"And my son, what do you want from him?" Walburga asked.

"I love him.  I just wish to make him happy and see were our courtship goes, preferably it would lead to a marriage." Sutton answered, for once being able to breath, these words coming from within and being the only honest answer she would give Walburga.

"And when it comes time for Regulus to serve the dark lord?"

"I'd be right beside him."

Walburga nodded, and with a single hand she dismissed the two. Calling out to Regulus that the door must stay cracked so she would know they weren't doing anything to dishonor their name. Which is what led them to laying in his bed. Where he contemplated saying those words. "Murder wouldn't solve this situation so easily. If we killed your mother, we'd have to kill your father too." Sutton rolled her eyes at him.

"Sutton, love, your mother offered to help us kill them. Three against two. I'm about ninety percent your mother would win against them on her own." Regulus whispered.

"And I'm just saying that it's a bad idea. Murder is wrong okay?" Sutton chuckled, shaking her head slightly, "Since when is murder than answer for everything?"

"Since the dark lord has risen through the greats. And your mothers plan was very thorough. We could've followed it and then been on our way to a life without pretending to be monsters who want to kill everyone." Regulus ranted.

"Except your parents."

"I mean obviously."

Sutton turned and looked at her boyfriend, he looked tired. His hair a mess and eyes seemingly sunken in. But he was still the man she loved. "Murder isn't the answer. We just have to pretend for a little while longer. We have two years left at Hogwarts."

Regulus leaned up and pressed his lips to hers. "Killing them would be quicker."