Chapter 25

Holidays were finally arriving, when the sinking feeling in their stomachs had appeared. Gentle kisses and soft words to offer the other comfort, did little to settle the dreary feeling. The train was roaring to go, and their empty feeling began to spread through their chests. Regulus and Sutton took as much time as they could to hide away before hand. But nothing would settle their sinking guts. Not even the thoughts of how the two had previously comforted one another in the ROR the nights before. And now sitting in a compartment with their separate friend groups felt off.

Delvin sat with one leg on the floor, his other over it. Kind of pointed in a triangle like shape, with his ankle touching the other knee and his hand resting on his lap, his head tilted back as he took a few deep breaths. This still awkward between the two since he had expressed his concern for her addiction. He knew what it was at this point, he knew she barely functioned without the littlest of bit of elixir at this point. Reaching into his pocket he sighed, he loved her dearly, and that's why he knew he was enabling her. He tried to justify it in his head, her holiday was going to be rough. They rarely ever fought and he didn't like it. But nothing could expunge the dirty feeling crawling over him, a weight settling on his shoulders. He didn't like this at all. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said what I did." Delvin broke the silence.

A small satisfied grin slipped onto Sutton's face as she no longer felt the urge to break the suffocating silence. "I'm sorry too Del! I missed you. We both said some shit we didn't mean." She beamed at him.

Even though she was sweaty and pale, her eyes seemed sunken in. And her lips were chapped, she'd been gnawing on them more than usual. Or maybe someone else had been gnawing on them. But Delvin didn't want to think about that. He didn't want to think about her small hands running through dark curls and butterfly kisses being pressed to her neck. This was a monster of his own making. And at least Regulus seemed to keep Sutton to busy to keep taking the elixir. Which wasn't necessarily true. And much like the fact he wanted to ignore that his best friend was sucking face with someone they usually didn't tolerate, he also didn't want to think about if Regulus wasn't keeping her from drinking the elixir.

Delvin closed his eyes and took a deep breath, holding it for almost 30 seconds and releasing it. Almost meditating or hyping himself up to his most reckless decision ever. He placed a bag on the table, it was filled with about thirty vials of golden hell. "Happy Holidays, Sutton. I figured you might need it." Delvin forced a grin, "Just be careful."

Sutton beamed, her inner beast cheering in delight. "Thank you. There's something we both need to worry about though." Sutton signed, "remember our mothers' interesting conversation this summer."

Delvin sat silently for a moment his eyes seeming to drift away as he dove through his own memories. It was like the wheels were turning but the hamster was dead. Let's see there was the sex talk, the don't leave it to mum to turn my clothes the right way out, don't leave wand on the counter, put the fucking towel back up on the rack, do you have all your books, don't annoy professor Flitwick off too much. The list could go on of the thoughts of conversations with his mother. The woman who had taught him to make the elixir himself. His eyes started to narrow as he plunged into darker thoughts. "Del? Delvin? Buddy o' pal you in there?" Sutton had began pestering him, prodding at his shoulder with her bony fingers.

"The arranged marriage shit! Merlin's sake mate!" Sutton exclaimed, "how do we avoid it?"

"Tell your mum that you're letting Regulus Black stick his wa-"

"Delvin!" Sutton screamed, her face turning scarlet red.

Her hair and eyes turned bubblegum pink and her face seemed to be a vibrant red. She stared at him wide-eyes and jaw dropped. His laughter echoing through the compartment.  But then his brow furrowed and his lips pursed, "are you seriously still a virgin? I thought with how much you two sneak off that you'd have already slept with the boy."

"We're fourteen! And we're not rushing anything." Sutton smiled, what seemed to be the first non-drug induced smile that Delvin had seen since he introduced them to the addictive shit. It was soft and sweet, a sugary feeling could rot someone's teeth with how she smiled. And that was just thinking about her
relationship. The innocence was still there. Their relationship wasn't a heavy one that caused tears and broken hearts. But one that could make the most ill person beam as if they weren't slowly destroying themselves. One that might save or break them.

Delvin smiled back at his best friend, his heart racing as he stared at her happily. She was happy and for once he knew it wasn't because of drugs. And that was probably the best present she could've given him for Christmas. Even if her dad didn't celebrate Christmas. "Well, you need to tell your mother that. It's the only way we won't be forced to marry." Delvin shrugged.

Her face paled. Her mother had ran from an arranged marriage. One where two pure bloods, we're to be wed in order to keep the bloodlines pure. And here she was, questioning if she was the result of a messed up marriage gone wrong and spitting in her mother's face falling for a pure blood. The Slytherin prince to say the very least.

Meanwhile Regulus's compartment was nearly silent. It was a tense atmosphere to be in, most of them had received an almost identical letter, one of which about a ball. A very important ball and a very important man would be in attendance. A man who wanted to radiate their world and remove those who didn't belong in their world would be there. And whereas the others were tense in away that seemed like skeptical excitement, Regulus was just worrying about not slipping up and getting blasted off the tapestry. He didn't want to let his parents down, but a man who spoke of killing others terrified him.

This Christmas would be terrifying. And he couldn't help that feeling in his chest as the train moved further and further from Hogwarts, one of his only safe places.