Chapter 7: Avoiding Hurts

Song: Backstreet Boys - Incomplete

Delirious' POV

For the past two weeks, I've been avoiding everyone. Expect the Late Night crew because I knew if I stop amusing them, they would mess with my friends. And I don't want that. I've skipping lunch and just heading to the next class. I would sit in the way back, where no one else could sit next to me. Even in homeroom I won't sit next to Evan. I can't. I've been on the edge of depression, I've been fighting it though, it's hard but this angel of a voice helps me. 

I just can't get Evan out of my head, I miss his voice, I miss his laugh, I miss his touch, I miss his brown eyes, I miss him. But how could I bring myself to someone who doesn't even love me? Who might be disgusted by the damn kiss at the sleepover. He's even been blowing up my phone, but I never bothered to open up the messages, even though I have over 200 of them.

I sighed and closed my locker. I've been getting to school early, just so I don't run into Evan at the lockers. I leaned up against my locker and slid down, slowly. I hugged my knee's and rested my chin on one of my knee caps. I could relax since the bus wasn't here, dropping everyone off. Dropping him off. I just sat there staring at the floor, my phone constantly beeping. I kept ignoring it though, I knew who it was but I just can't answer it. 

I saw feet walking up to me, I knew it wasn't a student of some sort because no one talks to me and those aren't Evan's shoes. I looked up and saw Mr. Steph, he frowned at me and motioned me to stand up. I grabbed my bag and got back on my feet,  "Mr. Denis, why were you on the floor? You look depress." My Math Teacher said with concern in his voice, "I'm okay. Don't worry." He nodded slowly but didn't look convinced. 

Then he looked up and down the halls then back at me, "Hey, what happened between you and your friends? I don't see you hanging out with them anymore." I closed my eyes and inhaled, "Nothing happened. I just.. can't be with them anymore." I said looking at the ground, trying my hardest to not think about it. "Jonathan, I've noticed a change in you. It doesn't look good. You used to be a happy student. Now, you are this kid who just sits in the back of the class, who just looks depress as ever." Mr. Steph stated, I nodded. He was right. 

"I also noticed, a sad Evan. He would always turn around and look at you. But you would be working or having your head down. He would instantly frown." I looked up at him, I figure Evan would. I mean, I am his best friend. I looked over Mr. Steph's shoulder and saw kids walking into the building. Then I saw him.

Evan was heading this way, just staring at the ground but when he looked up. He stopped in his tracks. You could tell we were staring right at each other, I saw his chocolate eyes once again. When Evan started walking back I instantly looked back at Mr. Steph, "I have to go. I'll see you later Mr. Steph." He gave me a confused look and turned around, Evan was standing right behind him. 

Mr. Steph backed away from between us. Evan and I were like two feet away from each other. We stared at each other until I turned my back on him and started walking away, "Jonathan, please stop ignoring me! I wanna talk to you!" Evan shouted down the hall as I kept walking. No one bothered to pay attention to him and kept doing their own thing. I didn't bother to turn around to look at him, I just kept walking.

'Please turn around.'

But when I was at the corner and I turned around to look back at Evan and Mr. Steph. I wish I didn't.  Evan was on the floor crying while hugging his knee's, with Mr. Steph sitting next to him rubbing his back. I felt my heart break into a million pieces.

'Jonathan! Look at Evan, he's more miserable than you are.'

The bell rang and everyone exited the halls, expect Mr. Steph and Evan. I just hid behind the corner, staring at them. Evan does look miserable. What have I done? I didn't know leaving him would do this to him. Evan isn't the kind of person to break out in tears.

'You know what to do.'

I took a deep breath and came out of my hiding spot, I started to slowly walk back to them. Mr. Steph looked up and noticed me but Evan didn't, he was burying his head in his legs. You could hear him sobbing, it was echoing off the walls. Which hurt me more, because I did this to him. I broke him just by leaving. I thought he would hate me for the kiss, I guess not.

'Why would he ever hate you?'

When I reached them, I stood right in front of Evan. I took off my mask silently and kneeled down, poking him once on the knee. He slowly looked up at me, you could see that his eyes were bloodshot red and tears just rolling down his cheeks. Even though I felt like crying just seeing him like this, I manage to smile at him. 

I stood back up and held out my hand. He didn't hesitate to grab it and I yanked him up. Once he was on his feet, he pulled me into a tight hug. He cried softly on my shoulder as I hugged him back. I looked at Mr. Steph, who was just smiling at us. "You two should get to homeroom, I'll write you both a pass." He said as he started walking away. Evan and I pulled back and grabbed our stuff, following close behind Mr. Steph. Evan's head was buried on my chest as we were walking, I put my arm around him and held him close to me. Normally he would be the man and do this with me, but Evan was more broken than I was.

  ✨✨✨